National Sea Rescue Institute
National Sea Rescue Institute is a nonprofit organisation that has a goal to prevent drowning through education, through preventative measures and through rescue. The Organisation updates and improves on their skills and techniques and we continuously investigate new technologies. The organisation visits schools around the country teaching children about water safety, what to do in an emergency and how to do basic hands-on CPR. Sea Rescue has built an online training centre for our crew and extended this platform to include free courses for the public as well. other preventative measures include emergency signage, Pink Rescue Buoys for flotation, Lifeguards and active patrols during peak season.
Sea Rescue seeks to appoint five Emergency Operations Centre Operator, to be based in Western Cape.
Remuneration: R237 826 Annual gross
Appointment date: 1 May 2019
- Receive emergency calls from public nationwide, and transferring them to the relevant NSRI rescue station, or (appropriate emergency service) as effectively as possible. This includes monitoring public tracking systems for emergency notifications
- Provide operational support to NSRI stations during operations and activities (monitoring communications, logging / tracking / reporting, etc.), assisting stations to effectively perform rescues
- Conduct administrative tasks. data capture, data processing, etc. will be a large component of the job
- Communication skills in both verbal and written language (preferably multilingual)
- Ability to type and capture correct details quickly
- Administration skills
- Computer skills (the job involves extensive use of computer programmes for both operational and administrative aspects)
- Must be IT literate, and comfortable learning and performing in new software programmes and systems
- Sea Rescue (preferably) / emergency services knowledge and skills (e.g. radio protocols, navigation ability, etc.)
- Geographical knowledge of the SA coastline and waterbodies
- An ability to learn quickly and respond to un-programmed situations (multi-task)
- An ability to deal with pressure, stay cool, as well as be able to keep busy during quiet times
- An innovative attitude to researching background information required for input to operational requirements during calls
- Relevant Rescue environment / emergency control room experience is advantageous. (Sea Rescue, Fire services, emergency medical services, etc.)
- Character traits should include enthusiasm, integrity, patience, self-control, loyalty, confidentiality and a positive outlook on life
To apply, submit a CV together with a letter of motivation and three contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
NSRI is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
The Gross Annual Amount includes 13 cheques / pays.
Deductions that come off this include 7% pension, 50% of the monthly medical aid premium and 1 % UIF.
Benefits over and above the annual amount include 8% pension, 50% medical aid 1 % UIF, as well as death and disability cover.
Errors and omissions excepted.
Overtime pay and Inconvenient work allowances are not offered.
For more about the National Sea Rescue Institute refer to www.nsri.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies