Sonke Gender Justice
Sonke Gender Justice (Sonke) works globally and across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke Gender Justice seeks to appoint a Communication and Strategic Information (CSI) Unit Manager, to be based in South Africa:
- Cape Town
Remuneration: R685 370 per annum negotiable dependent on experience and qualifications
- Manage the organisation’s identity and image (including production of Annual Report, newsletter, social media and website management)
- Contribute actively to national, regional and global advocacy campaigns
- Use communications as a tool to share news about Sonke’s Community Action Team members to inspire community activism locally and nationally
- Develop media advocacy trainings and facilitate workshops when required
- Manage media relations, including community media, social media, and mass media
- Support materials development and dissemination
- Manage internal communications
- Proactive fundraising for CSI Unit
- Master’s Degree in the social sciences, with a strong preference for Journalism, Public Health, or Human Rights degrees, and must be fluent in spoken and written English
- Minimum of three years’ experience in journalism (political journalism an advantage) and have active contacts amongst media institutions in South Africa and across the continent
- Experience having worked in a complex human rights, public health and/or development environment
- Proven ability to respond quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges
- Expertise in any of the following areas: gender equality, gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health and rights, democracy, human rights, peace and conflict, men and masculinities, community mobilisation, local government
- Experience convening media briefings
- Ability to speak indigenous South African languages, French or Swahili would be a significant advantage
To apply, submit your CV (not more than 5 pages), motivation letter and contact details of two referees, and this one page application form: https://genderjustice.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/CSI-Application-Form.docx to Sonke’s H.R. Department via email to email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For non-South Africans attaining of the work permit from the Department of Home Affairs is the responsibility of the applicant and employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place
If you do not hear from us by 30/03/2019, consider your application unsuccessful.
EE candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies