Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Position: Outcome 2 Deputy Lead: Improving the Commercial Viability of Utilities
Opportunity Closing Date: 15 February 2019
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people of Southern African and who demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional Pretoria-based candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Position Description, Objective & Responsibilities:
The Outcome 2 Deputy Lead will work with the Outcome 2 Lead to support in the successful implementation of all aspects of the Program’s Work Plan and achievement of the Program objectives. The position will support the Team Lead of Outcome 2: Improving the Commercial Viability of Utilities in the design and implementation of the various tasks under this Outcome to achieve its objective and deliver results. The Outcome’s principle goal is to assist utilities in the development and implementation of their electrification plans through the creation and implementation of Electrification Management Units (EMU). Outcome 2 will also seek to assist utilities in improving performance through the development of their strategic plans and performance management processes. It will also seek to assist utilities in strengthening incentives to reduce energy losses so as to make the utilities more financially viable and, as such, more creditworthy off-takers. Within the utility value chain, distribution has a high priority focusing on activities to introduce private sector participation, implement modern customer metering programs, more accurately track costs, increase cash collections and reduce losses.
- Technical Advisory Services / Consulting Support
- Engage with utilities and SAEP |Country Managers to assess technical support requirements
- Assist in the design and delivery of activities as defined in the annual work plans in the areas of utility operational improvement, loss reduction, improved access and others
- Review and comment on project deliverables for specific consulting activities
- Communicate with a team of subcontractors, long-term and short-term independent consultants, and full-time Program staff to provide technical guidance on specific iissues projec
- Management Support
- Assist the Outcome 2 Lead in the management of specific tasks under implementation
- Assist in the development of annual work plans and activity-specific scopes of work
- Assist in the development of budgets underlying the scopes of work
- Collect impact data from activity delivery for periodic reporting as required by
- Ensure all Outcome 2 activities are delivered in a manner compliant with Program regulations
- Assist the Outcome 2 Lead in the identification and assessment of new areas of support that contribute to achieving Outcome 2 and SAEP overall objectives
- Capacity Building
- Provide input on the development of training programs related to utility operational improvement
- Prepare or review training materials as needed
- Contribute to the delivery of training
- Evaluate feedback and scalability of training programs
Minimum Skills, Education & Experience:
- Masters / Bachelors of Science (BSc) in Electrical Engineering; or Masters / Bachelor’s degree in either Business Management, Environmental Management, Economics, Energy Policy, Finance and/or other related fields;
- Minimum ten (10) years of practical experience working with utilities with specific experience in utility T&D operations, performance improvement, loss reductions, and connections;
- Demonstrated understanding of power system economics, planning and project appraisal techniques;
- Previous experience working as a consultant preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, driving results across multiple work streams;
- Prior experience delivering donor-funded energy sector projects preferred;
- Strong individual initiative, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product, motivate others to produce strong work product and solve problems;
- Excellent organizational skills; strong research, data gathering, and analytical/modeling skills;
- Ability to manage technical team and long-term strategic partnerships;
- Ability to work rapidly with multiple teams in various locations, and as required, as well as work remotely;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written); commitment to working with a distributed team and result oriented collaboration with colleagues;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint); and
- Fluency or native-level English language ability.
NOTE: Only South African citizens or South African permanent resident permit holders will be considered for this role. No relocation cost will be covered by Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC or the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program.
If you are interested, download and complete the application form (http://www.ngopulse.org/resource/fixed-term-employment-application-form). Please send a cover letter and a CV (PDF or Word format) that includes contact information and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 15 February 2019. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.