Masifundise Development Trust
Masifundise is a civil society organisation with a long track record in the small-scale fishing sector. Its aim is to promote and advance Food Sovereignty in small-scale fishing communities in South Africa, and globally. It aims to do this by empowering fishers and community-based activists to become agents of change within their own communities, organisations, and social movements, as well as facilitating and strengthening participatory governance, enabling fishing communities to secure their social, economic, and political rights and promoting principles of social, economic and environmental justice and the right to autonomy and sovereignty of civil society.
Masifundise seeks to appoint a Media and Communication Intern to be based in Cape Town.
- Assist with producing and updating the Masifundise website and social media with relevant content
- Assist the Programme Officers in producing a portfolio of audio-visual resource materials
- Assist the Programme Officers in the development and production of our newsletter (Fishers Net) and other popular education material targeting inland and small-scale fishing communities
- Assist in the production Media briefings / dossiers on issues relevant to Food Sovereignty and small-scale fisheries, in South Africa and globally e.g. Extractive Industries, Customary Rights, Operation Phakisa, etc
- Keep abreast with contemporary developments in these sectors
- Assist in preparing and issuing media statements and public relations work
- Provide logistical and administrative support to Programme staff
- Diploma, BA in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Science or a related field or, relevant experience
- Writing skills in English and at least one other language (Afrikaans, IsiXhosa or, IsiZulu is preferred)
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Previous knowledge and use of WordPress and Mailchimp is preferred
- Understanding of the usage of social media for Civil Society organisations
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Confidence and strong communication skills
- Be creative and pro-active
- Organisational and time-management skills
- Ability to work in a team and under pressure
- Proven commitment to social justice
- Possess a sense of political strategy, social dynamics and discourse
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new things
To apply, submit a CV with at least two contactable references, a motivational letter and a sample of your writing to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Media and Communication internship” as subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Applications without the relevant documentation will not be considered.
For more about Masifundise Development Trust, refer to www.masifundise.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies