Freedom House is a nongovernmental human rights organisation based in Washington DC, with a regional office for Southern Africa based in Johannesburg. Through the Justice as a Right in Southern Africa (JARSA) programme, Freedom House seeks to strengthen the rule of law, promote judicial independence and protect human rights in the SADC region.
Freedom House is seeking a consultant(s) to conduct an applied political economy analysis at local government level in Limpopo and Eastern Cape municipalities in South Africa.
Scope of Work:
- Conduct field based mapping exercises to assist Freedom House in understanding the sites in which work will take place and in determining educational needs of beneficiary organisations
- Undertake a political economy analysis in both sites in order to refine the project theory of change and confirm project objectives and design
- Conduct review of key municipal documents per target municipality to ascertain critical service delivery challenges and opportunities for strengthening civic participation and service delivery
- Consolidate and produce a single report of APEA findings across selected sites
Successful consultants will provide full documentation of the process and outcomes of the work.
The successful candidates should be based in South Africa and should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Master’s degree in the social sciences with five or more years of professional experience, or honour’s degree in the social sciences with eight or more years of professional experience;
- Demonstrated academic and/or professional experience in one or more of the following areas: public participation, popular education, course design, local government service delivery;
- Familiarity with the context within which the work is to be undertaken.
Freedom House will accept proposals from individuals and not for profit companies only.
The consultant(s) will be paid at a daily rate, negotiable within Freedom House accepted consultancy rates. All other costs required for the successful completion of the consultancy, such as material and travel expenses, are to be identified in consultation with and provided by Freedom House.
Please submit an application consisting of the following to Ms. Mpangi Kwenge, email@example.com, by February 13, 2019. The application should include:
- Motivation letter detailing experience and suitability for this consultancy
- Desired daily rate and estimated number of days. Please note that consulting rates must be justified in the proposal by reference to previous work
- Two references from work conducted in the last 18 months
For more about Freedom House, refer to www.freedomhouse.org
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities