Community Development Association Foundation
Community Development Association (CDA), a non-profit, youth and leadership development organization based at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, is seeking potential candidates for Lead English Teacher positions to deliver English language trainings and cultural activities for youth within the English Access Microscholarship Program (Access Program) funded by with the U.S. Embassy in South Africa and the U.S. Department of State.
The English Access Microscholarship Program seeks suitable candidates for 2 Lead English Teacher positions in Embizweni High School (uMlazi).
The ideal candidate should be an innovative teacher of English who values meaningful communication, content-based activities, and a student-centered learning environment. Self-development is a key aim of Access Enhancement activities, which often takes place outside of the classroom. Far less emphasis is placed on traditional approaches to language learning such as grammar, testing, and rote memorization. The experiences of Access students should differ markedly from their experiences in regular English classes.
- University degree(s) with the qualification “English Language Teacher” and at least three years of experience working with pupils/students.
- Ability to organize and participate in enhancement and out-of-class activities.
- Desire to expand one’s teaching potential, take risks, learn new and innovative approaches to facilitating English lessons and project work.
- Availability of 5-6 hours a week in the afternoons on weekdays or on the weekends during regular school terms from January 2019 through November 2020.
- Availability for intensive sessions during one to two weeks long summer camps that will be organized for Access students in 2019 - 2020 (day time camps, and residential camps.
- Computer Literacy.
- A post-graduate qualification (Honours Degree).
- an e-mail cover letter
- an attached CV
Attached statement responding to the following prompts:
- Describe why you’d like to teach with the English Access Microscholarship Program in South Africa (150 words maximum)
- Describe one innovative activity you do with learners (150 words maximum)
- Describe how you are different from most English teachers (100 words maximum)
Remuneration package: $650 (US dollars) monthly
To apply : Email to Siphamandla Chagwe at: email@example.com.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Closing date for the receipts of applications: January 22, 2019 at 12:00
Advert Reference Number MUST be clearly stated in the subject line.