Freedom House is a nongovernmental human rights organisation based in Washington DC, with a regional office for Southern Africa based in Johannesburg. Through the Justice as a Right in Southern Africa (JARSA) programme, Freedom House seeks to strengthen the rule of law, promote judicial independence and protect human rights in the SADC region.
Freedom House seeks to appoint a Finance Assistant, to be based in Johannesburg.
Reports to: Senior Finance Officer
The purpose of the Finance Assistant is to assist with the financial and administrative functions according to the regulations, policies and procedures of donors, the South African government and the organization in support of Freedom House’s programs in the region.
- Act as liaison with Freedom House headquarters finance and program staff on finance and grant compliance issues
- Maintain the integrity and ensure accuracy of all financial data including reviewing and posting entries to General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable;
- Conduct financial analysis and prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements
- Assist with monitoring cash flow and managing Freedom House’s financial status
- Assist with ensuring all accounting records and systems are in compliance with funder requirements as well as requirements of the South African government
- Assist with ensuring compliance with programmatic objectives, financial obligations and reporting requirements according to grant agreements
- Assist with preparation of an annual audit required by local authorities
- Assist with the effective functioning of the office support systems including negotiations with the landlord, vendors and other service providers in the most cost effective manner;
- Assist with maintaining internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and regulations
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Finance Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics, or related field
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Mastery of MS Office Suite; specifically Excel and Word and QuickBooks, Pastel Preferred
- Prior experience working with NGO accounting in a fast paced finance department;
- Experience mentoring local organizations to build their financial and organizational capacity strongly preferred
- Knowledge of South African accounting and financial laws
- Knowledge of USG financial and reporting requirements preferred
- Knowledge of all accounting principles, GAAP, and automated accounting systems
- Ability to analyze financial information efficiently and accurately
- Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
To apply, submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history desired salary to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.
Only candidates who respond to these and provide information on their salary requirements will be considered for the position.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
All candidates must already be able to work legally in South Africa.
For more about Freedom House, refer to www.freedomhouse.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies