Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC: Renewable Energy Grid Integration Advisor
Position: Renewable Energy Grid Integration Advisor
Contract Type: Independent Consultant
Recruitment Type: International ICA
Project: Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP)
Outcome: Outcome 4 - Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
Location: Blantyre, Malawi
Delivery Range: March 2019 – June 2019
Language Requirement: English
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional candidates with work experience within the African renewable energy industry for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program.
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Position Description and Objectives:
Deloitte Consulting LLP seeks a Renewable Energy Grid Integration Advisor for a power utility based in Malawi. The Advisor will assist the utility to maintain system operational integrity as variable energy generation increases. The position is offered in the framework of the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) and advances the objectives of Outcome 4, which promotes Renewable Energy generation and Energy Efficiency.
Responsibilities, Outcomes and Deliverables:
The target utility will be increasing its overall the contribution of variable renewable energy generation capacity. Deloitte seeks the services of a power systems expert to assess the impacts of planned renewable energy generation plants and to advise on operational planning with the goal to maintain stability and continuity of supply. The ideal candidate should have experience of system operation in an environment with significant variable renewable energy sources, especially solar PV plants. Emphasis will be placed on the candidate’s experience with integrating new solar PV plants into a national grid. The successful candidate will be required to advise the utility to achieve the following:
- Balance supply and demand in real-time
- Dispatch generation assets according to a merit order
- Identify and deploy ancillary services for frequency support and voltage control
- Identify and manage reserves
- Manage load to ensure stability
- Ensure compliance to the grid code
- Train utility staff to integrate renewable energy resources in planning
Minimum Skills, Education & Experience:
- The minimum degree requirement is a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering; preference will be given to a Master’s qualification
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience as a Power System Operator
- Experience in overseeing the integration of new Solar PV plants (>5MW) is required
- Experience in providing consulting services for mid-level to senior clients in organizations, which includes training or skills transfer is a requirement
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders with diverse education levels and in a multi-cultural environment
- An advanced ability to write technical and non-technical reports is essential
- Ability to develop, analyze and articulate project issues and to diagnose problems and propose reliable solutions
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint)
- Prior experience on a donor-funded energy sector project. USAID-funded project preferred
- Experience in developing country environments and experience in Southern Africa required
- Ability to work rapidly with multiple teams in various locations, and as required, as well as work remotely
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written); commitment to working with a distributed team and result oriented collaboration with colleagues
- Fluency or native-level English language ability
If you are interested, download and complete the application form (http://www.ngopulse.org/resource-centre/icap-form-dcop). Send the completed form, a cover letter and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to email@example.com by 25 January, 2019. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.