Shine Literacy is a nonprofit organisation that seeks to create a culture of reading in South African schools, homes, workplaces and communities, thereby improving literacy outcomes for young children from low-income communities.
Shine Literacy seeks to appoint a Communications and Administration Officer, to be based in Cape Town.
Duration: 12-month contract
Salary: Between R8 000 and R10 000 per month, depending on experience
The purpose of the Communications and Administration Officer, is to provide support to the Communications Manager and the Shine Literacy head office team in the following areas: Social Media, Events, Internal Communications and Administration.
- Monitor all social and traditional media relating to Shine, including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Website
- Develop and update social media content, as required
- Support the Communications Manager in the logistics of planning and running events
- Support the Communications Manager in developing/editing internal communications, as required
- Constantly seek out and write up Shine stories; Visiting Centres, Chapters and schools to engage with learners and volunteers
- Maintain library of press releases and stories suitable for use across all communication channels
- Assist in the management of the photo library, captioning strong images for use in communications and ensuring the permission to be photographed
- Maintain security of individual images (especially children)
- Update internal communications related documentation (e.g. business cards/posters)
- Undertake all administration related to communications
- Undertake duties as point of first contact in the head office: telephones or messages, front desk
- receiving deliveries, general emails - referral thereof
- Maintain staff refreshment stocks
- Booking and organising of meeting room
- Liaise with suppliers
- Coordination of schedules
- General filing
- Collect mail from post office at least weekly
- Provide support with all administrative tasks relating to funding events
- Undertake all other tasks as assigned by the Communications Manager from time to time
- Undertake training which may be offered in the course of the internship
- National Diploma and/or Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field
- Writing skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well with people and build harmonious relationships
- Administrative skills with a natural attention to detail
- Computer Literacy – Microsoft Office
- Ability to comfortably work in the digital space (i.e. web, social media)
- General understanding of traditional (print/broadcast) as well as modern (online) media or communications channels
- Ability to work independently as well as a supportive, collaborative team player
- Ability to work under pressure and to multiple deadlines
- Ability to speak Afrikaans and/or Xhosa would be an advantage
- Code 08 Driver's License would be an advantage
To apply, submit motivational letter and your CV to email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application -NGO Pulse Portal
All applications must be received by 5pm on Friday, 18 January 2018. Late applications will not be considered.
Shine Literacy is an equal opportunity employer. Preference may be given to a candidate whose appointment would ensure that our organisation is more representative of the communities in which we work.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to all applicants. If you are not contacted by Shine Literacy within thirty days after the closing date, you should consider your application has been unsuccessful.
For more information about Shine Literacy, refer to www.shineliteracy.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies