Ndifuna Ukwazi is an activist organisation and law centre that promotes the realisation of constitutional rights and social justice through providing organising, research and legal support to poor and working-class people, communities and social movements.
We work to advance urban land justice in Cape Town through the protection and expansion of access to affordable housing; supporting tenants’ rights and security of tenure in both private and public rental housing and building inclusive and sustainable mixed-use and mixed-income communities. Ndifuna Ukwazi works closely with Reclaim the City, a social movement of residents living and working in the inner city of Cape Town and surrounding areas.
Ndifuna Ukwazi seeks to appoint politically conscious and highly motivated individuals into various roles in our organisation. We are looking for talented individuals with skills in at least one or more of the following areas to commence work as soon as possible.
Location: Cape Town
Remuneration: A salary commensurate with experience and with Ndifuna Ukwazi’s designated salary bands will be offered.
Organising: Skills and Responsibilities
- Build community power through a range of tactics including through knowledge sharing, protest and resistance actions.
- Work as part of a collective
- Organise and lead meetings and speak in front of a crowd with confidence and clarity.
- Build meaningful relationships of trust. You can inspire, persuade and influence people to take action and you are prepared to lead by example
- Build alliances and networks
- Creative, accessible, approachable and encourage dialogue and collective decision making
- Plan and manage logistics for events with partners and communities - including transport, catering, communications, finance, programmes etc.
Research or Urban Planning: Skills and Responsibilities
- Write and produce compelling research reports, infographics, and other forms of written content
- Write various forms of opinions, submissions, objections and presentations
- Develop feasibility and bulk modelling of land use on land parcels
- Analyse spatial plans and frameworks as well as policy and legislative instruments
- Analyse land use and planning applications.
Communications and Advocacy: Skills and Responsibilities
- Engage with stakeholders in government and civil society to advance our campaigns issues
- Plan and execute strategic comunications campaigns
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation from time to time
- Give comment to journalists, both written and on radio or TV
- Develop cutting edge content and strategies for social media channels
- Write opinion pieces and press statements
- Design poster, pamphlets and publications
- An undergraduate university degree. If your skills lie in organising and you don't have a degree then we will expect that you have experience in organising in communities.
- Good writing skills (in a variety of styles)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to easily relate to, and work with people across race, class, gender and age.
- A proven ability to work well under pressure, independently and as part of a team.
- An ability to switch effortlessly between immediate priorities and medium-term and long term strategic goals.
- A self-motivated, productive, energetic and creative strategic thinker.
- A commitment to social justice
- Experience demonstrating a political consciousness and a commitment to advancing constitutional rights and and equality.
- Fluency in at least two of Cape Town’s three main languages is advantageous (English, isiXhosa and Afrikaans).
Ndifuna Ukwazi is committed to transformation and equity in its recruitment processes.
Interested applicants must email their application to email@example.com on or before 7 November 2018. You must put the specific role that you are applying for in the subject line. Please include the following in your application:
- A letter of motivation articulating how your skills match the ones we are looking for. We welcome applications from candidates with skills in more than one of the areas.
- A brief CV (including two contactable referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.