Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Position: Communication Officer
Opportunity Closing Date: 12 December 2018
Opportunity Type: Enter Fixed Term Employment
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional Pretoria-based candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program.
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
The Communication Officer will report to the Communication Specialist under the leadership of the PMO Lead. The aspirant will support the coordination and facilitates internal and external relations and communication activities on the operational level and advises on the tactical level, with the goal to strengthen and achieve USAID SAEP set targets. He/she will also be responsible for developing improved communication channels, providing quality information to key external stakeholders, and developing excellent social media presence across the region. An important role of the Communications Officer is to produce press releases and organise events.
- Assisting in supporting the program’s goals through participating in the overall development and execution of communication tactics
- Developing, updating the event calendar and supporting in the execution of the events across the region
- Developing and consolidate strong media ties to confirm widespread outreach to public and business partners across the region
- Evolving successful goal-oriented communication plans with creative departments
- Supporting in the drafting and development of all content for internal and external communication including virtual space
- Developing and overseeing the communications calendar to ensure timely execution of the program
- Assisting in increasing SAEP social media presence by creating and sending content to USAID and Power Africa for publication on their social media sites
- Providing exceptional services in managing virtual communications
- Promoting the Power Africa / USAID brand as an exceptional care provider in media and print
- Developing content for the print, virtual and broadcast media
- Preserving and promoting the programs reputation among staff and the clients
- Supporting in overseeing all creative inputs on company’s communications and publications
- Host the website and upgrade content regularly
- Assisting with taking meeting minutes and transcribing meeting notes and handwritten notes from hard copy into electronic format
- Assisting with writing of press releases and organising events
- Work together with the Training and Logistics Specialists to ensure that events and trainings are properly publicized, well-attended, exhibit appropriate and USAID-compliant marketing materials, and that schedules are coordinated to reduce scheduling conflicts
- Responding to direct requests from various staff for ad-hoc assistance on a limited basis for tasks relevant to the position’s skill-set but outside of the position’s specific tasks and responsibilities, so long as such requests do not interfere with direct responsibilities of the position
Minimum Skills, Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in communication, journalism, media studies and any other related field; a Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years of professional work experience in communications or a related field of work
- Knowledge of cultural and communication norms and expectations in most Southern African countries
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite or similar graphic design software will be an added advantage
- Ability to quickly spot a “success story” to profile and individual or organization positively
- Report writing abilities, knowledge of USAID requirements will be an added advantage
- Exposure to and understanding of energy-related technical terminology preferred
- Experience working with sub-contractors / partners / grantees in communication related matters
- Proactive individual with a positive attitude willing to work in team settings
Please send a cover letter and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 12 December 2018. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.