Open Secrets is a nonprofit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. The organisaiton uses research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
Open Secrets seeks to appoint two interns to be based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town:
- A legal intern dedicated primarily to legal research support.
- An advocacy and communications intern dedicated primarily to advocacy, media and communications support.
Start date: January 2019
Duration: Nine-month contract period
Salary: R9,500.00 per month
- Undertake research on historic and contemporary economic crime in South Africa
- Read, summarise and archive research material
- Write reports and related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms
- Assist research team in researching law
- Develop litigation strategy
- Draft letters, pleadings and other documents on the People’s Tribunal on Economic Crime and other case work
Advocacy and communications intern
- Assist in managing advocacy and media (including social media) around Open Secrets’ investigations and litigation
- Collaborate with partners in civil society
- General administrative and logistical support
- Students in a related field (law, politics, history, economics, journalism, communications etc.) are preferable
- Work ethic, integrity and a commitment to social justice
- Team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration
- Research, writing and organisational skills
- Computer Literacy: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
To apply, submit a CV, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.
For more about Open Secrets, refer to www.opensecrets.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies