Viv Gordon Placements
Viv Gordon Placements has an extremely exciting opportunity for a Communications Manager to join the team at a dynamic NPO called Urban Management based in Cape Town’s CBD.
In this fantastic role you will be responsible for handling all content and communication initiatives for the NPO in order to develop a better understanding of the organisation among all stakeholders and role players. Viv Gordon Placements is looking for someone who is experienced in employing all channels available to communicate the NPO’s role. The key focus areas of this role are ‘Media’ and ‘Writing’. looking A candidate from a Journalism background, specifically in the news and current affairs arena, with excellent writing and subbing skills (this is non-negotiable) would be preferable. The successful candidate will take on the role as ‘spokesperson’ for the organisation and must be extremely well connected with the media and able to handle crisis and reputational risk management. You will also manage a small team. This is a super chance to shine in a meaningful and rewarding role.
- Manage reputational risk (which can mean being available to the media and colleagues 24/7)
- Manage the Communications department’s four-person team and all its operations
- Overseeing all publications, collateral and campaigns with which the NPO is involved
- Researching and writing quality content across a broad spectrum relevant to urban regeneration, and for a wide range of communications channels – from publications such as the NPO’s quarterly newspaper and annual report, to online and social media, monthly e-newsletters, multi-platform awareness campaigns and general press including newspapers (short form) and other publications (long form op ed pieces)
- Overseeing of all events run by the NPO
- Timeously addressing all public queries and requests that cross your desk on a daily basis
- Overseeing the daily updating of the contacts, business and investment/development databases - Some of these you will manage and update hands on while others you will supervise
- Be the researcher, chief writer and editor on the NPO’s annual investment guide into the economic climate of the CBD
- Be an excellent communicator in terms of both internal and external stakeholders
- Tell a story across a range of media, from a 600-word article, 3 000-word op-ed, report or the publications mentioned above to a 140-character tweet, campaign poster slogan or PowerPoint presentation
- Research, sub edit, proofread and fact check all work produced by the Communications team (and occasionally that of other colleagues as required, such as in departmental reports)
- Solve problems and manage own time, especially under tight deadlines
- Pitch new ideas to the media and actively seek out stories
- Work consistently under deadline, across numerous projects simultaneously, and still be able to accommodate out-of-the blue requests from other departments as well as the media and members of the public, on a daily basis
- Degree/Diploma in Journalism - preferred
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in a similar managerial role in Communications, preferably in a newsroom scenario or with a publishing house, and with a proven track record of having written and published articles and other works including publications. The position also requires a keen instinct to know what is newsworthy and makes for strong copy.
- Experience of working in, or with, service organisations, NGOs or NPOs
- Experience in online and print publishing with a thorough understanding of production management
- An understanding of effective media relation strategies, both reactive and proactive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English - Another South African language would be a distinct advantage.
- Ability to tailor communications for different media
- Strong people skills and the ability to engage with stakeholders across all economic sectors
- An understanding of how new technology (e.g.: apps, mobile compatibility, etc) can be deployed in communication programmes
- Proven long-term experience in liaising with the media and in the preparation of both media strategies and media releases
- Computer Literacy: MS Office (Outlook, Word and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of InDesign in terms of being able to edit text in the programme and undertake basic design changes
- Valid driver’s licence and own reliable transport (and be prepared to work “after hours” when the need arises)
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a Communications team
- An ability to be deadline and detail driven at all times
- A passion for downtowns and what makes them work
- Experience in pitching for sponsorships would also be an advantage, as the NPO would like to explore this in the future
Applications can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: 30 November 2018
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.
JOB REFERENCE CODE: #Tam359