Save the Children South Africa
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager: System Strengthening, Gauteng Support
Reports to: Head of MEAL
Base: Johannesburg / Pretoria
Child Projection Level: 3
Travel Requirements: Regular
Budget Responsibilities: Nil
Assets Responsibilities: Own Assets and those used by other
External Representation: Regular information to others
Contract Period: Up to end 2021
The purpose of this role is to strengthen Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) project management MEAL systems to make evidence-based decisions in order to increase the quality of projects and achievement of results. The MEAL Manager will lead the development and support the implementation of standardised project MEAL systems in projects and provinces from the design, implementation and close out phases. In addition, he/she will ensure future learnings are carried over to new and other projects. The MEAL Manager will also act as a support in the MEAL system to projects in Gauteng Province from design, implementation and delivery.
- Develop standardised MEAL system guidance and tools for projects across the SCSA programmes portfolio
- Lead MEAL coordination across all SCSA projects through working with Provincial MEAL Advisors
- Lead the further development and testing of the SCSA Accountability Application and oversee the roll out of the SCSA Accountability Application across projects.
- Prepare programmes and projects to respond appropriately to community feedback
- Develop and support the implementation of a central system to ensure that findings from quality assessments are used in programme quality improvement
- Oversee MEAL reporting across projects
- Support organisational learning by ensuring that lessons learnt from projects are shared and sustained in the development and implementation of new and other projects
- Develop and support knowledge management systems, including shared project folders and effective use in projects of other organisational systems contributing to knowledge management.
- Support the roll out of the Award Management System including migration of project data into the system and the effective use of the system in project through strategic reporting
- Support the roll out of other organisational systems that have bearing on the MEAL function
- Developing a Gauteng MEAL system that meets the prescribed standards
- Developing and supporting the implementation of project MEAL plans in Gauteng
- Conduct monitoring on quality benchmarks of interventions implemented to inform quality improvement of interventions
- Coordinate review meetings for Gauteng-based projects on a quarterly basis
- Support baseline and endline studies for Gauteng-based projects through training of enumerators for data collection, ensuring quality controls are in place and that data is captured and ready for analysis
- Provide training for Project staff in building capacity on MEAL skills base
- Must have the ability to lead teams
- Must have good communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Must be able to meet deadlines
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Social Sciences
- Diploma/Certificate in Project Management / Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage
- 5 years previous experience in a similar role
- Computer literacy (MS Office package)
- Drivers license
All candidates are to send their CVs and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 14h00, Friday, 19 October 2018.
Please note that late or incomplete applications will not be considered.