Sonke Gender Justice
Position based in Cape Town
Remuneration: R242 650 – R363 975
With offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Agincourt, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies (see http://www.genderjustice.org.za)
Sonke is looking to appoint a Junior Accountant in its Cape Town office. This position has the following primary responsibilities:
Key duties and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with Sonke’s financial policies, procedures and donor requirement
- Drafting of invoices and follow up on outstanding payments
- Reconciliation of debtor accounts
- Manage and reconcile staff advances
- Capture transactions on Pastel Evolution
- Manage and reconcile bank accounts, credit cards and petty cash
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Process accruals and pre-paid transactions
- Process journals
- Import salaries onto Nedbank from the internal payroll system on a monthly basis
- Capture budgets to Pastel Evolution
- Create Pastel accounts
- Prepare internal and external financial reports
- Prepare full analysis of all balance sheet accounts at each month end
- Allocate shared project costs such as debit orders to relevant projects
- Provide support to programme staff regarding project budgets and financial reporting
- Assist in the preparation for the annual audit and additional donor specific audits
- Prepare year end schedules and compile other documentation for audits
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Accounting or Financial Management or extensive experience
- At least 5-6 years experience in accounting
- Minimum of 5 years experience in working in the finance unit in a similar position of a medium sized South African NGO
- Working experience with Pastel Evolution
- Strong understanding of accounting principles
- Experience with audit requirements
- Proficient in MS excel
- Conversant with International Financial Reporting Standards
- Able to handle pressure and change
- Deadline driven
- Excellent attention to detail
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to email@example.com , Closing date 26/10/2018.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- EE candidates are encouraged to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 30/11/2018, please consider your application unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.