Public School Partnerships (EC): Education Lead (InterSen phase)
Axium Education – under the auspices of the Public Schools Partnership, a new education partnership between public schools, private sector funders and non-profit organisations - is excited to be able to offer the following job opportunity based in the Willowvale region of the Eastern Cape. This pilot project offers a unique opportunity to impact learning in South Africa’s rural schools, and is seeking experienced, dynamic individuals who have a track record of achievement in similar environments.
This role requires someone who is passionate about long term educational change. They will need to be an experienced and confident teacher who is patient and able to work alongside others to develop their subject knowledge and teaching ability. Experience observing and working with groups of teachers would be ideal. Building relationships with the teachers in the 8 schools and networking with other specialists will be a critical aspect of this role.
Based: AmaJingqi area (Willowvale) with support from Zithulele
Time: Full time, starting as soon as possible
Salary: HOD level with appropriate remuneration, depending on experience
Qualifications and attributes:
- Qualified, experienced teacher (minimum 2 years’ experience, HOD preferable)
- The ability to support Intermediate/Senior Phase teachers of all subjects through classroom observation and the facilitation of PLCs
- Willingness to commit to living and working in remote, rural settings
- Ability to work constructively within a small team
- Knowledge of the rural public school system and the ability to imagine professional development in this context
- Preference will be given to applicants with strong experience teaching English or mathematics
- Passionate about improving education outcomes in South Africa
- Strong facilitation skills
- Experience working with groups of teachers
- Proactive and flexible
- Strong interpersonal skills with good cultural sensitivity
- Computer skills (MS Office)
- Rural experience preferable
- Drivers licence
- the ideal candidate should have a working knowledge of isiXhosa
- Provide mentorship and support to Intermediate and Senior Phase teachers with the aim of improving teaching practice
- Visit classrooms on a regular (roughly fortnightly) basis and provide thoughtful, detailed feedback to teachers that will enable them to improve their teaching
- Organise regular professional development sessions for high school teaching staff on pedagogy and effective teaching strategies, with the support of Axium’s teaching team
- Create & support subject-specific communities of practice between teachers of other partner schools.
- Work with the high school’s Senior Management Team to drive school-wide instructional improvement strategies
- Identify additional student support opportunities (e.g. after-school programmes, remedial, etc.) that will improve student learning and performance, and assist the school with implementation
- Identify subject-specific content gaps and liaise with other subject specialists where needed
- Work with subject advisors in the Intermediate & Senior Phases
- Keep records of all teacher interactions and any other records required by the project
- Be an active, positive member of the Axium team, assisting with general tasks and duties as they arise
More details can be found at: www.axiumeducation.org/vacancies.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a motivation letter, CV (with references) and a copy of your ID BEFORE 19 October 2018. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.