Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Commence: October 2018
Job title: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Contract Duration: Up to 31 March 2020 (Fixed-term contract)
Australia Awards is a DFAT funded initiative designed to equip Africans with the skills and knowledge necessary to contribute to sustainable economic and social development outcomes of their own countries; and to build the long-term, sustainable links with Australia.
Australia Awards in Africa provides a mix of Scholarships and Short Courses to Africans in the public, civil society and private sectors in targeted disciplines that support the home countries’ developmental priorities. Australia Awards is managed by Palladium on behalf of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trading (DFAT).
To assist in the implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation Strategy for Australia Awards – Africa . The Senior M&E Officer will support the M&E Manager in data management, analysis and packaging of program reports and evaluation for wider dissemination.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist and support the M&E Manager in the full implementation of the Australia Awards in Africa M&E Strategy.
- Assist with the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities as specified in the M&E Plan
- Analyse data, including quantitative survey program data, quantitative program data for periodic reporting, and qualitative data gathered during interviews.
- Contribute to the annual review of the M&E Strategy and Framework and assist in reflecting the changes in the technical sheets of indicators.
- Assist in research and evaluation activities. The Senior M&E Officer will join teams in the implementation of evaluation studies, including arranging logistics for field work, data collection via interviews in the field or by phone, and/or through online surveys, and contributing to data analysis and reporting writing.
- Support in the packaging of M&E results to Australia Awards stakeholders, this will involve working with the Communications team in preparing infographics for reports and debriefs
- Draft data collection instruments (i.e. surveys, interview protocols) to be used in special studies and/or for distribution online to target groups.
- Interpret and use results for program improvement. This involves analysing data with a view toward feeding lessons and recommendations back into program implementation.
- Review Short Course Awards (SCA) reports and provide comments.
- Compile and consolidate SCA reports, share with providers and DFAT
- In consultation with the Communications team prepare individual pieces and thematic stories based on M&E outputs for wide circulation
- Other duties from time-to time, as may be reasonably required by the M&E Manager
- Perform other activities as required by the M & E Manager
- Attend all relevant staff meetings
- Participate in relevant HR and performance management processes
- Report all suspected and/or detected fraud within 24 hours of discovery and in accordance with DFAT’s Fraud Policy and the Palladium Fraud Risk Assessment and Management Plan (FRAMP).
- Lead and contribute to the Six-Monthly report, Annual Plan and M&E reports.
Qualifications and experience
- Relevant Tertiary Qualification in Statistics, Social Science, or any related field. Masters preferred.
- Minimum of four years’ work experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation or social research preferably in the International Development sector
- Knowledge of evaluation concepts and procedures
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software including Excel and other Statistical Packages
- A strong knowledge of data visualisation tools and graphics software is advantageous.
- Ability to interpret project information and to identify and analyse problems with implementation.
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Ability to work under pressure and balance several competing tasks at once.
- Demonstrated understanding of data management
- Demonstrated people skills with a flexible and collaborative personal style
- Be prepared to provide off site and after-hours support.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency in any/all Portuguese, French, would be highly desirable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in data analysis and use of data visualisation software
- Demonstrated experience in design and working with complex databases
- Identifies process improvements and discusses with immediate supervisor.
- Works with people of all backgrounds with a respectful attitude
- Actively works to support the delivery of the objectives of Australia Awards – Africa and encourages others to do this too.
The successful candidate must have established rights to work in South Africa.
Salary offered: Gross R 24,080.00- R 29,100.00 (based on relevant experience and qualifications) plus medical aid and provident fund.
Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 28 August 2018