The Fight Inequality Alliance
The Fight Inequality Alliance is a new and growing group of leading international and national non-profit organisations, human rights campaigners, women’s rights groups, environmental groups, faith-based organisations, trade unions, social movements and other civil society organisations that have come together to fight the growing crisis of inequality.
The Fight Inequality Alliance is committed to building a global movement to counter the excessive concentration of power and wealth in the hands of a small elite and achieve a just, equal and sustainable world.
AASA has been working since March 2017 on a project funded by the Hewlett Foundation on inequality in South Africa and internationally. This work supports the mobilization of the SA Inequality Alliance. This consultancy is to cover the portion of the work related to the inequality alliance.
OUTLINE OF THE PROCESSES, OUTPUTS AND ACTIVITIES TO BE COMPLETED:
The consultant will be responsible for and complete the following:
- Supporting the functioning of the SA Inequality Alliance
- Work with alliance partners such as Amnesty and Oxfam to support the alliance
- Host and guide meetings of the alliance
- Support SA participation in the International Inequality Alliance
- Support fundraising efforts for the future of the Inequality Alliance in South Africa
- Strong experience in organizing from local to national level
- A good understanding of inequality in the South Africa context
- At least 7 years experience within Civic Society in South Africa
- Partnership and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Leadership experience in NGO sector
- Fluency in English and at least one other African language
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, principled, and self-directed
- Ability to make strategic decisions and the ambition to want to grow an exciting project to become a major player in South Africa
- Ability to support a diverse group of member organisations
- Organisational management and managing a budget
AASA offices in Johannesburg or member organisations of the Alliance but work from any location is possible
MATERIAL / INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED TO THE CONSULTANT
Information, briefing, communication and liaison between the parties will be conducted in person, via email, skype and telephonically, as and when required.
The above will be executed in consultation with the Programme Lead.
The Consultant will report to the Programme Lead.