International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organisation, with 166 member states. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 and now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration and mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
IOM seeks to appoint a Finance Assistant for Regional Programmes, to be based in Pretoria.
Reference Number: SVNROSA2018/03
Salary: G-5 (UN Salary scale for General Service employees in the Republic of South Africa)
Duration: Six months with possibility of extension
The purpose of the position is to support the Regional Office and Country Offices with regional programmes on Financial, Accounting, Internal Controls and Audits.
- In coordination with Resource Management Officer for Regional Programmes (RMO-RP), assist Regional Program Managers and Senior Regional Resource Management Officer on financial management, budgetary, internal and external audits, procurement and logistics aspects of all Regional Programs in Southern Africa
- Assist providing guidance in accounting, budget and financial related issues
- Assist in verifications of financial transactions and reports from Implementing Partners and support in the management of accounting reports
- Assist in reconciling Implementing Partners’ reports and data entries of financial transactions from implementing partners in SAP (Computerised Integrated Accounting/HR/Procurement system customised to IOM)
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of internal controls in accordance with the Organisation’s established policies and procedures, including prevention of fraud and mismanagement
- Provide resource management support on internal and external audits
- Extract and input data from various sources in financial or accounting systems
- Provide support in the preparation of financial reports, as needed and assist in the preparation of periodic regional financial reports and analysis of financial results
- Verify invoices and ascertain that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received or provided before proceeding with payment request
- Responsible for the preparation of the budget performance reports; analyse variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures and bring to the attention of the supervisor any material discrepancies
- Provide general support to the team in the absence of other colleagues in the Unit
- Follow-up on agreements and contracts with various service providers, suppliers and implementing partners in coordination with the Legal Department, Regional Office in Pretoria and/or concerned missions in Southern Africa
- Provide general support to the Resource Management team including Human Resources and Information Technology and Communications
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or related field of study with three years of relevant professional experience
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage
- Experience working in financial management with responsibilities for accounting, reporting, budget, audit, treasury and financial analysis
- Experience with internal control assessment, internal and/or external/project audits
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is an advantage
- Experience in computerised accounting systems (including SAP)
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Knowledge of local languages is advantageous
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others
- Planning and Organising - Effectively applies specialised knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services; plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility
- Professionalism -displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions
- Resource Mobilisation - establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Technical - Effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline
- Develops / follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement
- Ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines
- Advocates incorporation of financial considerations into processes and procedures
To apply, submit your letter of motivation, up-to-date CV, copy of ID and Complete IOM Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from the below website) to firstname.lastname@example.org please specify the Vacancy reference number i.e. SVNROSA2018/03 on the subject line of your email.
We will not be able to track your applications without the reference code provided.
Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about the International Organisation for Migration, refer to www.iom.int
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies