CIVICUS: WORLD ALLIANCE FOR CITIZEN PARTICIPATION
CIVICUS, the global civil society alliance, is looking for an energetic, digital communications savvy, self-starter who is passionate about communications to work with our globally-focused communications team for a 6-month internship. The successful candidate will be excited by CIVICUS mission to strengthen civil society and citizen action around the world and be committed to protecting the fundamental civic freedoms that allow us to speak out, organise and take action. The intern will help to implement digital communications for CIVICUS’s programmes, working with the communications team to promote and disseminate information about progressive activist movements, while also building their own technical skills and knowledge around civic space.
At CIVICUS our focus is simple: to strengthen civil society and citisen action for a more just, inclusive and sustainable world. We do this by defending civic freedoms and democratic values; strengthening the power of people to organise, mobilise and take action; and empowering a more accountable, effective, and innovative civil society.
We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have more than 4000 members in more than 175 countries. We work for civil society, protecting and growing ‘civic space’ by which we mean; the freedoms of expression, association and assembly – the fundamental freedoms on which rest peoples’, citizens’ and organisations’ right to speak out, organise and take action.
We know that this is a time of big global challenges for civil society and the world, but we also know that our members and partners have big responses. Our role is to connect, amplify and scale these responses and, in doing so, strengthen the contribution of citizen action and civil society.
Description of role:
The Digital Communications Intern will work closely with communications and other staff to produce and disseminate communications, communicating CIVICUS knowledge about civil society, being part of advocacy efforts to protect people's rights to speak out, organise, and take action, and amplify marginalised voices, especially from the Global South.
The internship will primarily focus on:
- Media and media related tasks. media monitoring of CIVICS media hits and OpEd placement, helping to draft press releases for key moments, production of media fact sheets, drafting of media placements.
- Website: Upload articles for CIVICUS’ websites, fix non-technical issues related to CIVICUS’ website, use web analytics to contribute to understanding of how audiences engage with content.
- Social media: identify social media opportunities, produce social media graphics and short videos using no experience needed online tools
- Newsletters: Draft e-newsletters, help to curate email list servs
Knowledge and skills:
- Holding or in pursuit of a degree/qualification related to communications
- A portfolio of previous work related to digital communications
- Interest and knowledge related to civil society, activism and global issues.
- Experience using social media - especially twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Ability to communicate simply and clearly, with written and design skills
- Ability to work on a team
- Computer, internet, email, Microsoft office
- Excellent English language -spoken and written
- Fluency in another UN language (French, Spanish, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, or Arabic) – desirable
Job Title This Position Reports To: Communication lead
Duration: Six Months
Salary: $1500 per month
Start Date: September 2018
Location: Johannesburg, Geneva, or New York
To apply, send your CV to email@example.com
Applicants are encouraged to also share examples of previous of examples of work related to digital communications. In your email, indicate your availability for the internship. Email will be accepted for any questions about the internship.
For more about CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, refer to www.civicus.org
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities