Health Systems Trust
The Health Systems Trust (HST) is a nonprofit organisation that strives to build comprehensive, effective, efficient and equitable national health systems by supporting the implementation of functional health districts in South Africa and in the southern African region.
HST seeks to appoint a Graphic Designer / Layout Artist, to be based in based in KwaZulu-Natal, Durban.
Salary: Package commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications and in line with HST’s Job Grading System will be offered
This is a fixed-term contract position, renewable based on funding.
The purpose of the Graphic Designer/Layout Artist is to originate high-quality and creative solutions that meet HST’s diverse visual communications’ requirements. Implement the brand and create layouts of HST publications, reports, research and other communication outputs for internal and external dissemination. This includes flagship publications, project, corporate and research reports, marketing materials, newsletters, abstracts and other writings destined for publication in professional journals, at conferences, in print and online media.
- Design, layout and branding of HST publications including project, research, corporate reports, newsletters and marketing materials to ensure high quality, brand fidelity and appeal to internal and external target audiences
- Design and layout support for authors of abstracts and other thought leadership outputs for publication and presentation at conferences
- Layout of fortnightly HTML Bulletin/summaries and other electronic communications materials
- Upload content on the HST digital platforms in consultation with the CU team
- Develop and manage a photographic and image repository
- Provide input for regular updating of HST branding guidelines and other relevant policies, procedures and protocols for quality assurance
- Liaise with the line manager/authors/commissioning managers to provide design and layout feedback, ensure tasks are executed to specification and resolve any emerging queries
- Design, layout and branding of funding proposals ensuring professional look and feel to leverage revenue-generation
- Provide design and layout services to external fee-paying clients where appropriate to contribute to revenue-generation
- Manage production and print service providers to ensure timeous and high quality delivery of print and online products
- Research appropriate creative references and trends from the internet, relevant publications and other sources to propose innovative or fresh solutions for design concepts, graphics, infographics and layouts
- Update weekly work plans, provide inputs into the budgeting of tasks and monitor activities
- Contribute to development of systems for efficient workflow management (from creative brief to delivery) to ensure jobs are completed within agreed time-frames
- Provide capacity-building support for staff, including MS Office user help, basic type-setting, design and layout guidelines
- Participate in unit, section and other cross-functional meetings and initiatives for collaboration and alignment to strategic goals
- Provide quarterly reports on design and layout outputs
- The role holder will from time-to-time be required to carry out any other duties that are within the scope of the job
- Minimum Diploma in graphic design, desktop publishing or equivalent
- English language proficiency both verbal and written
- Minimum of five years’ experience working as a graphic designer, desktop publisher, layout artist or other related role
- Experience of designing and laying out diverse and complex publications written for internal and external audiences
- Software skills on Mac and PC platform including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint in particular), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Dreamweaver, BBEdit or equivalent)
- Solid understanding and effective use of typography and type-setting in design
- Ability to interpret information and plan creative outputs according to the communications needs
- Knowledge of press production process and protocols, and ability to execute jobs from concept to print
- Proficiency in operating in-house printing (Canon imagePrograf large format printer) and laminating (Skylam) equipment
- Dynamic, enthusiastic and highly creative with ability to balance big picture perspective and attention to detail
- Strong project management skills with ability to multi-task, prioritise and work on several publications / projects simultaneously
- Self-organisation, ability to cope under pressure and meet deadlines
- Interpersonal and client relationship skills to work effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders at various levels
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a team
- A valid driver’s licence, willingness to travel and work outside normal office hours
- Experience of working in a public health setting in an NGO or government
- Web design skills and experience with HTML coding and CSS
- Experience with bespoke content management system, e.g. SharePoint
To apply, submit a detailed CV stating the position applied for (including district preference), together with names and contact details (telephone numbers and an e-mail address) of at least three contactable referees, to Sanele Ngubane at email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit certified copies of all qualifications and identity documents.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Email users are requested to set the delivery option of their message on both ‘Return Receipt’ and ‘Confirm Delivery’.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to reference and credential checks.
If you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
HST reserves the right to not fill this position.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Health systems Trust Promotes Employment Equity.
For more about Health Systems Trust, refer to www.hst.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies