HLANGANISA Institute of Development in Southern Africa (HiDSA)
JOINT GENDER FUND CALL FOR PROPOSALS
MAINSTREAMING DISABILITY INTO COMMUNITY-LED GENDER BASED VIOLENCE RESPONSES.
Issue Date – 18 July 2018
Submission Deadline: 4pm 3 August 2018
Hlanganisa Institute for Development Southern Africa (HiDSA) is a South African organisation that aims to change the lives of ordinary South Africans through promoting social justice. HiDSA is a champion for the rights of marginalised sub populations including women and through the Joint Gender Fund programme and has successfully contributed to strengthening of civil society responses to GBV through financial and technical support.
Research shows that women and girls with a disability are generally have heightened vulnerable to sexual and gender based violence. In light of this, HiDSA undertakes to support the mainstreaming and integration of disability into GBV programming. HIDSA invites community based organisations working to combat GBV in South Africa to apply for grants to assist with mainstreaming disability into their programmes.
HIDSA welcomes community-based interventions that aim to fulfil one or more of the following medium term outcomes:
- To increase awareness regarding the nature and severity of the GBV risk factors of people living with a disability
- To increase awareness and understanding of GBV programme barriers to people living with a disability
- To advocate for improved GBV programming for people living with a disability
- To mainstream disability in GBV prevention and mitigation programmes and vis versa
- To shift social norms and harmful practices that heighten risk of GBV amongst people living with a disability
- Removal of barriers to equal participation and the elimination of discrimination based on disability.
Indicative interventions to be funded include IEC materials in braille, SBCC programmes addressing sociocultural barriers to disabled persons, engagement of Local and Provincial Government, efforts aimed at movement building among others. HIDSA welcomes joint proposals when organisations feel that their individual capacity is limited to implementation the proposed action.
- Be a registered South African Non-Profit Organization
- Currently working to address gender-based violence (not necessarily as the only focus)
- Have financial and management systems
- Have a Board of Directors
- Have strong women’s leadership, participation and empowerment
- Demonstrate alignment with the overall strategy of the JGF
- Have a vision for transforming unequal gender power relations
Interested applicants should download the application form here submit it via email with all the necessary attachments to email@example.com and email should be labelled “GBV AND DISABILITY FUNDING APPLICATION” by 3 August 2018 at 4PM.
For more information about the Joint Gender Fund visit www.jointgenderfund.co.za or www.hlanganisa.org.za
Kindly address any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Joint Gender Fund reserves the right to decline to consider any proposal that does not conform to the proposal requirements.