Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education
The Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education has been established to strengthen the theoretical, strategic, organisational, creative and analytic capabilities of worker, student and community activists struggling against racism, sexism, poverty and inequality.
Based in Mowbray, Cape Town, the TCAE seeks to appoint as soon as possible a Social Media Specialist
- Support the Centre’s engagement with social media
- Ensure the presence of the Centre on social media, which includes Facebook, web site, Twitter and other social media platforms. The incumbent will be expected to develop a social media strategy, produce content through research and other means, and implement our social media strategy on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide social media training
- Educate activists in the use of social media and other forms of communication for organisation building and campaigning
- Support materials development
- Work with curriculum and materials developers in developing innovative multi-media course materials for use on programmes offered by the Centre.
- A university degree or the equivalent
- Experience as an activist working for social justice
- Sound political judgement in how to use social media to further the goals of the Centre, and a strong interest in political education
- Experience in the effective use of websites, Facebook, twitter and other social media platforms for dissemination of ideas, arguments, commentary etc.
- Strong research and communication skills
- Ability to read widely, synthesise ideas coherently and communicate effectively
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and provide leadership in the development of our social media presence, as well as ability to work as part of a team.
- Imaginative, energetic, innovative, hardworking
- Strong visual design skills and skills in film editing would be a strong recommendation.
The TCAE is committed to equity in employment practices and is keen to make appointments to meet these objectives. Priority will be given to black applicants. The Centre reserves the right not to make an appointment. Please send applications with a letter of motivation, contact details of 3 referees, and CV with ‘Social Media Specialist position’ in the subject line to email@example.com by Friday 3 August. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.