The Foundation seeks to appoint a Project management agency/person to manage the delivery and co-ordinate the Western Cape Maths, Science and English High School project for 2019 - 20121.
Zenex Foundation is currently in a partnership with the Western Cape Department of Education to fund a Maths, Science and English (Home Language and First Additional Language Project) High School project in the Metro North and East Districts. We are seeking an experienced Project Manager in a consulting capacity to manage the project in the Western Cape.
This Project aims to increase participation rates in Maths and Science and increase the pool of Black learners with potential in Maths and Science. It is also working to increase the number of learners who enter university to pursue Maths and Science related degrees. The Project has a school focus (to improve school leadership and teaching) as well as a direct learner focus. Our past experience has shown that work at school level takes at least five years to yield good results.
This Project aims to increase the number of high functioning schools that offer quality Maths, Science and English teaching through increasing:
- participation rates in Maths and Physical Science in Grade 11;
- the number of learners who achieve Bachelor passes with Maths and Science subjects in the Grade 12 National Senior Certificate (NSC) exams;
- the number of learners who achieve above 60% for Maths, Science and English in the Grade 12 NSC exams.
Project theory of change
If we work with schools (leaders, SMTs, teachers and learners) to improve instructional leadership, instructional practice and build learners’ foundations in Maths, Science and English, we will improve the quality of learner performance and increase enrolment in Maths and Physical Science in the Further Education and Training (FET) Phase and tertiary enrolments in Math and Science careers.
Intervention Focus Areas
The intervention focuses on the school as the system of change and specifically targets school Managers, Teachers and Learners. The Project seeks to:
- Provide support to SMTs/HODs to manage and plan curriculum and assist them to analyse data and problem solve using evidence.
- Work with teachers to improve their pedagogical content knowledge and their capabilities to deal with learner backlogs.
- Provide support to learners directly to deal with backlogs.
There are different service providers involved in delivering the leadership, management and teacher and learner support components in the three provinces.
Status of the Project and selection process
The Project is implemented in 26 schools in three Provinces, namely: Eastern Cape, Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal. In Western Cape there are 10 project schools in two Districts namely in Metro North and East Districts. The project is in the second year of implementation and we are in the process of reviewing the project design .
It is envisaged that the revised design will start in 2019 and end in 2021. The project manager will manage the current implementation until December 2018 and once the new proposed design is approved by the Zenex Board, a new contract with the incumbent project manager to manage the project will be negotiated for 2019 to 2021.
- The Foundation seeks to appoint a Project management agency/person to manage the delivery and co-ordinate the project. Since more than one service provider is tasked with delivery on the project, a project management agency/person is needed for co-ordination. It is planned that the project management will commence in July 2018.
- An intensive consultation process is planned from July 2018 to finalise planning, inform the detailed revised project design with regard to the content areas of the intervention, materials, the implementation as well as the evaluation design.
The Foundation in collaboration with WC DBE invites Expressions of Interest from education specialist and education providers who can offer project management services as follows:
- The project manager must be based in the Western Cape and must have experience in project management.
- Provide project planning, management, administration, coordination and support services to 10 schools and consortium of four to six service providers to achieve the project goals and objectives of the Zenex Maths, Science and English Schools of Excellence Programme
- Facilitate project meetings, networking, information sharing opportunities among service providers and schools in the project
- Ensure that service providers deliver quality training and technical support to teachers and school management on curriculum and subject specific content
- Ensure that the programme is monitored and implemented.
- Conduct visits to schools to ensure buy-in and commitment, troubleshoot, make appropriate linkages, and provide information and overall project management support.
- Compile, consolidate and analyse narrative and financial reports from service providers, including reports on data collection in relation to the evaluation and reporting to the Zenex Foundation on general project management.
- Facilitate and follow-up on evaluation matters of the project.
- Report to the Zenex Programme Manager
Interested service providers should forward CV’s /proposal of not more than 4 A4 pages and should highlight some of the following aspects:
- Experience in Project management and Education
- Details of how the specific project management activities will be offered (one paragraph)
- A short profile of organisation or individual which includes previous experience of working in the Western Cape on similar programmes
- Preference will be given to Black African candidates with relevant experience.
- Experience of working in a consortium (partnership)
- Short CV (one paragraph) of the person who will be directly involved in the project management.
- Geographical base in the Western Cape and proximity to both Metro Districts
- Expected hourly /daily rate: In our experience the project management activities take up to 12 days per month, and the contract will be based on this guideline.
All CV’s/proposals should be directed to Ms Lettie Miles at Lettie@zenexfoundation.org.za by 17 July 2018.
The short-listed individuals/organisation will be required to do a telephone or skype interview to a panel selected by Zenex Foundation.
The Zenex Foundation will not engage in any meetings or further communication regarding the above expression of interest. Further information on the Zenex Foundation strategy may be obtained on request by email from Ms. Fundiswa Sayo at Fundiswa@zenexfoundation.org.za
Closing Date: 17 July 2018 at 14H00
For more about the Zenex Foundation, refer to www.zenexfoundation.org.za
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/opportunities/other