Save the Children South Africa
Fixed Term: 22 months
Reports to: Gauteng Provincial Manager
Travel Requirements: Regular travel to KZN, Limpopo, Gauteng and Mpumalanga
Budget Responsibilities: R2 million for the project
Asset Responsibilities: Own assets and those used by others
In partnership with Save the Children Sweden, Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) is implementing a project that seeks to ensure that all children benefit from a safe environment through strengthened child protection system. The programme aims to influence policy and legislation to ban corporal punishment in the home, to support and equip children, caregivers and communities to prevent and respond to violence against and to facilitate safe school environments for children.
The CP Project Manager will oversee the implementation of the project in KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Gauteng and Mpumalanga. The Project Manager will be responsible for managing government and civil society partnerships at provincial level. S/he will work under the supervision of the Provincial Managers, and in close collaboration with the respective CP Programme Manager.
- Design the implementation plan for the Project;
- Manage the planning, implementation, coordination and monitoring of project activities to achieve results against set objectives;
- Co-ordinate the development of resources and material required for the project capacity building activities;
- Initiate and maintain strong working relationships with government, partner agencies and other stakeholders at provincial/national/international levels.
- Manage project budget, maintaining positive expenditure within a set timeframe in line with donor conditions and project plans;
- Drive data collection efforts and draw on monitoring and evaluation data to inform and re-direct project implementation;
- Ensure lessons learnt are documented and shared with all relevant stakeholders, including beneficiaries;
- Provide input to the learning agenda of SCSA from drawing from the experience in the project;
- Attend budget holder and programme meetings as required; and
- Any other related responsibilities as the CP Programme Manager may require.
BEHAVIOR AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES (Save the Children values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds colleagues accountable to deliver on their responsibilities -- giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Focused on achieving external impact for the campaign
- Clear ability to understand other people’s perspective and address reasonable concerns and needs
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
We endeavour to treat everyone with respect, empathy and compassion.
We value passion, determination, perseverance and the sense of urgency. We believe in adopting a realistically positive and optimistic attitude towards everything we do because this inspires others to share the same outlook.
We believe in creating a learning organisation in which staff members commit themselves to personal growth and, in so doing, seek and share knowledge and information.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ESSENTIAL
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant development or social science field or equivalent recognised Project Management qualification;
- Driver’s license
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the South African children’s sector;
- Demonstrable Project Management experience at a suitable level;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, ability to inform and engage through written communication;
- Experience in planning and facilitating training;
- Strong skills in Microsoft office and project management tools e.g. excel
- Strong initiative and ability to multitask, anticipate and priorities without direct supervision;
Application and contact details: Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their (covering letter and CV) to Hmalatji@savethechildren.org.za by 13 July 2018. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.