Campaign for a Just Energy Future
The Campaign for a Just Energy Future is a dynamic campaign committed to promoting affordable, reliable, safe energy access for all South Africans. The Campaign is committed to ensuring the nuclear deal is completely off the table in terms of policy and to continue to oppose it if it is proposed again by government.
Campaign for a Just Energy Future seeks to appoint a Campaign Coordinator to be based in Johannesburg.
Reporting to: Chair of the Steering Committee
Salary Commensurate with experience.
Location: Johannesburg but negotiable depending on member organisation willing to host
Contract period: One year
Line Managing: May have line management responsibility for two staff and volunteers
Travel: Travel to provinces across the country will be an essential part of the job.
The purpose of this role is to contribute and support the strengthening of the movement around energy in South Africa through supporting local struggles and convening spaces and processes to engage with and challenge government thinking, policy and decisions and to ensure that community ownership and a just transition are key pillars to a just energy future.
- Coordinate the activities of the Campaign for Just Energy Future and assist the campaign and steering committee to effectively administer and coordinate the programme. Specifically, the coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of events and reports, as well as fundraise and manage grants, represent the campaign at events or in the media, general administration and support the member organisations of the campaign.
- Development of campaign strategy, implementation and co-ordination of ad hoc and longer term sustained actions in partnership with campaign member organisations, movements and community activists
- Develop and deliver cutting edge campaigns that are innovative and with agility
- Coordination across the various sectors including unions, faith based groups, movements, feminist organisations, youth formations, all levels of government and other local organisations
- Ensure effective community engagement with the relevant Parliamentary Portfolio Committees
- Project management, events management and liaising with high-profile, keynote speakers
- Manage the digital and online presence of the campaign and ensuring digital campaigning during key events and moments
- Effective communications from the campaign to members of the campaign and to the public
- Media liaison, organising and participating in media interviews with campaign members
- Compile of quarterly reports to the funders and the steering committee
- Conduct basic research and preparing popular materials for the campaign
- Convene Steering Committee meetings and facilitating communication with members of the steering committee
- Working with members of the Steering Group to ensure effective fundraising for the campaign
- Management of staff, finances and other Campaign resources
- Represent the Campaign externally at events, meetings and other gatherings including coalition meetings
- Support the movement building process in South Africa by working closely with communities and community activists
- At least five years campaigning, coordination and leadership experience in the civic society space
- Understanding and experience in the social justice/trade union and/or energy sector in South Africa
- Experience in coordinating networks or building coalitions
- Communication skills- verbal and written
- Fundraising experience is an advantage
- Flexibility: Be adaptable to fast changing situations, including: rapidly changing focus of tasks according to team or organisational needs; and rapidly acquiring new skills or knowledge through training and experiences, including sometimes undertaking activities that you have little or no experience of
- Experience of managing small teams and budgets and ensuring ultimate accountability to the members
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Challenging entrenched discriminatory practices including those based on gender, race and sexual orientation
- Requirement to travel to the provinces and work with member organisations and their constituencies
- Experience of facilitating meetings and workshops
To apply, submit your CV and one page letter of motivation about your passion for social justice and how your skills will add to the Campaign for a Just Energy Future to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Closing date for applications is 25 June 2018, however, open until filled. We will consider applications as soon as they are received.
For more about Campaign for a Just Energy Future, refer to www.justenergyfuture.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies