Lawyers Against Abuse
Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is a non-profit organisation that provides integrated legal and psychosocial support services to victims of gender-based violence (GBV) and works to facilitate structural change through strategic engagement with state actors and communities in which we work. Since mid-2014, LvA has been based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement north of Johannesburg, known for high prevalence rates of GBV, poverty, and poor service delivery. We have a strong commitment to addressing GBV in a long-term, sustainable way that not only responds to the needs of individual victims, but addresses the broader systemic issues that allow violence to persist.
Lawyers against Abuse seeks to appoint a Treasurer to join the Board in Johannesburg on a quarterly basis outside of business hours. As such, there is a strong preference for someone currently based in Johannesburg.
This is an unpaid / voluntary position.
The role of the Treasurer will be to help guide the financial planning and management of the organisation. Specifically, the Treasurer will monitor the financial administration of the organisation and advise the Board at regular intervals on its state of financial health, in line with best practice, and in compliance with all relevant legislation and regulation.
- Provide oversight of budgets, management accounts and annual financial statements
- Lead in the board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and spent, in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements
- Liaise with staff members responsible for the financial activities of the organisation
- Liaise at Board‐level with the external auditors during annual audit
- A qualified accountant, or someone with extensive relevant experience in the finance sector
- Sound knowledge of current legislation and regulations relevant to the financial management of NPOs in South Africa
- Experience in an oversight role
- Experience of VAT and other tax rules in an NPO preferable
- High standard of professionalism, integrity and objectivity
To apply, submit your CV and cover letter, along with the contact information of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
For mor about Lawyers against Abuse, refer to www.lva.org.za
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities