MIET Africa is an NPO working in education development across the Southern African Development Community Region.
MIET seeks to appoint a Creative Arts Education specialist working in partnership with the National Lotteries Cooperation (NLC) and the KZN Department of Education (KZN DoE), to be based in Durban.
Salary: Will be discussed with the successful applicant
This is a 12 months fixed term contract
The purpose of the Creative Arts Education specialist is to coordinate and lead the implementation of a Creative Arts support programme in primary schools in the Umlazi Education District, KZN.
- Lead the training, development and support of Creative Arts teachers from the Creative Arts project schools through support workshops, one-on-one teacher mentoring and support visits
- Work with Creative Arts teachers to identify their schools’ needs in terms of the Creative Arts programme in alignment with the CAPS for Creative Arts
- Support the development and implementation of balanced teaching and learning programmes in the Creative Arts at primary schools in collaboration with both the Departments of Education and Arts and Culture
- Collaborate with, oversee the work of and support community-based volunteer artists, dramatists and musicians to develop a holistic Creative Arts support programme at the project schools
- Conduct an audit of creative arts resources at the project schools with a view to procuring appropriate banks of resources for each school to support the teaching and learning of the Creative Arts programme
- Advocate for the support of the Creative Arts programme and for the promotion of the Creative Arts within the Education District, schools and the school communities
- Coordinate events, exhibitions and performances by learners within schools and clusters of schools to showcase the work done in schools in the Creative Arts
- In collaboration with the DCES for Creative Arts, coordinate the staging of the final performance, exhibition and event at district level to showcase the work of the project schools
- Conduct internal monitoring and support of the project (includes overseeing the assessment of learners), and prepare monthly reports on the progress of the project
- Manage the budget for materials, resources and teacher and learner activities
- Tertiary qualification, preferably post graduate (Creative Arts and Education with some specialization such as Music, Visual Arts, Drama)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the teaching of / involvement in the Creative Arts
- Experience in workshop facilitation and adult training
- Project coordination and management skills especially in the context of education support programmes and performance in the Creative Arts
- Experience in working with DoE officials at all levels
- Passion for holistic development of children through participation in the Creative Arts
- Willingness to work flexible hours (weekends and holidays)
- Communication skills (oral and written, including report writing skills)
- Code 8 (EB) driver’s licence and own reliable vehicle to be used in the execution of duties
To apply, submit to HR Department, MIET Africa at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of application, clearly stating the position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of ID
- Copy of work permit (if non-South African resident)
- Copy of valid and unendorsed driver’s licence
- Copy of police clearance certificate or affidavit declaring any criminal activities
- Copy of qualifications
- Copy of most recent payslip
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
MIET AFRICA reserves the right not to fill the post, or to re-advertise to widen the pool of applicants.
It also reserves the right to do a complete verification of all information supplied.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about MIET Africa, refer to www.miet.co.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies