International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH)
Secondment to the National Department of Health (NDoH)
Department : Programs
Supervisor : Program Director (Care and Treatment)
Position Level : Chief Director Level
Location : Pretoria: NDoH
Position Duration : Fixed term contract (1 June 2018 – 30 September 2018)
The International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) is a United States of America, federally-funded project, which supports the development of HIV/AIDS care and treatment training initiatives in 25 developing countries acutely impacted by the global AIDS epidemic. I-TECH is an initiative of the University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Public Health & Community Medicine. Its Central Office is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and it currently supports ten international offices, including one in Pretoria, South Africa.
I-TECH South Africa is supporting the National Department of Health to strengthen capacity for HRH skills development and in particular, the Regional Training Centers’ activities at national, provincial and district level.
I-TECH South Africa Goal:
I-TECH South Africa’s goal is to support the South African government in strengthening national health systems to ensure delivery of high quality, sustainable health care services.
Brief Summary of Position:
The National Department of Health (NDoH) is embarking on a number of strategic initiatives that are fundamental to achieving National goals and service transformation towards Universal Health Coverage.
The successful implementation of many of these initiatives will be greatly enhanced by being driven at a strategic level by a dedicated and experienced senior manager with an in depth knowledge and understanding of South African health landscape as well as proven competencies in dealing with the stakeholders that are integral to the achievement of these objectives.
- Support the development of the national HRH strategy.
- Oversight and completion of key PEPFAR HRH activities.
- Support the Chief Directors/Program 5 staff in planning, linking and implementing PEPFAR’s HR activities with HIV services. For example,
- Using HIV data from the Ideal Clinic Dashboard to inform and guide Regional Training Center activities
- Using the Human Resource Information System to deploy needed Department of Health staff in high burden HIV areas.
- Support the vision of the NDOH in regards to HRH, and understand how each PEPFAR project can/will support and interact with other NDOH projects, including, but not limited to Primary Health Care, HIV clinical services and Human Resource Development.
- Support long term sustainability plans for each project, including timeline, acceptable maintenance cost of each product transitioned from a PEPFAR Implementing Partner to the NDOH, etc.
- Technical support to NHI sub-committee.
What does the project hope to achieve?
- Health system strengthening to ensure improved health outcomes towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, the goals of the National Development Plan and the goals of the Medium Term Strategic Framework.
- Preparation of the public sector for the implementation of the National Health Insurance system.
- Improving access to health services across all levels of care.
- Improved quality of service delivery as measured by the performance in the audit of the Office of Standards Compliance.
- Alignment with the re-engineering of Primary Health Care.
- Strengthening the district health system to prepare for the implementation of the National Health Insurance system
- Master’s in Public Health, Health Policy or equivalent qualification in a Health related or Public Health field.
- At least five 8 years’ experience at a senior management.
- Experience in Policy Development, Research, Planning, Analysis, Literature Review and Information Knowledge Management in the health field.
- In-depth understanding of working at level (e.g. with Deans, the Professional Councils, Executive and Senior Members of the NDoH and Provincial Departments of Health).
- Experience with the development of Government Policy.
- Solid experience of HRH Policies and working within the Human resource Cluster (HRH).
- High level understanding of curricula issues and experience in Health Facilities capacity building and the development of Leadership and Management Programs in the Health sector.
- Expert level understanding of the South African Labour Law.
- High level policy and or systems strengthening experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the South African National Health System
- Demonstrated ability to communicate between colleagues with a variety of cultural backgrounds in a respectful and diplomatic manner.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance effective professional partnerships Financial Policies guided by Treasury Regulations.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and decision-making.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking).
- Commitment to building personal and organizational capacity.
- Strong initiative, ability to develop and carry out work plans, and demonstrated skills for solving problems independently.
- Strong organizational, electronic file management and computer skills including MS
Office, Power Point, Excel and Access.
- Ability to facilitate and present publically at project meetings and in public forums.
- Experience working with International NGO’s particularly under PEPFAR funding environment (CDC/HRSA/USAID)
Conditions of Employment: This position is 1.0 FTE seconded to the National Department of Health in Pretoria, South Africa. Candidates must be available and willing to travel within South Africa to regional and or national meetings/conferences. Complex deliverables on short timelines may require work in excess of 40 hours.
Applicants are required to quote the relevant Position Title mentioned above when submitting their applications via email to email@example.com
Shortlisting shall start on the 1st of June, 2018 and the advert shall run until the vacancy is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Preference will be given to South African applicants.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.