Employment type: This is a 12 month fixed-term contract and is subject to funding availability
Start date: Monday 16 July 2018 (negotiable)
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Deadline to apply: 3pm, Friday 25 May 2018. Late applications may be accepted at the organisations discretion
Black women, non-binary people, people living with disabilities and LGBTIQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary of position:
amandla.mobi is inviting applicants to join our small, but highly skilled team, based in Johannesburg, to serve our members across South Africa. The organisation launched in 2014 and has grown rapidly as a startup. We are now working to put in place the operational and financial systems and requirements necessary to manage multiple funding sources and a growing team.
We’re looking for someone who has a proven track record for managing operations and finance within the non-profit sector. The ideal candidate must be excited about working in a small team that creates change through the use of technology, communications and tools that enable our members to build people power and hold decision makers to account. Our workplace is fast paced and ever changing, and we’re looking for a skilled individual with enormous initiative who thrives in a startup environment and is task oriented.
If this sounds like you, we can’t wait to receive your application!
amandla.mobi is an independent, community advocacy organisation that seeks to build a more just and people powered Mzansi. We do this through our work, which aims to turn every cell phone into a democracy building tool, so that those most affected by poverty, violence and corruption - Black women from low-income backgrounds - can organise in numbers that hold power to account. amandla.mobi supports a movement of 200,000 members across South Africa.
amandla.mobi is currently a team of 4 people who, on a daily basis, work with our members to set up campaigns on different social justice issues by using different tactics such as petitions, public submissions, meetings with decision makers, crowdfunding for campaign tactics, events, mobilising communities etc. We work with over 40 different values-aligned partner organisations who, together with our members, set up and run campaigns on www.awethu.mobi.
amandla.mobi communicates with its members through SMS, USSD, Whatsapp, email, our mobi site and social media, and we work hard to ensure as many of our campaigns as possible are translated into isiZulu, isiXhosa and Setswana.
amandla.mobi is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
The amandla.mobi office is based in Braamfontein, Johannesburg. The Operations and Finance Manager will need to be able to work from this office 5 days a week.
About the role
We are looking for someone who can thrive under pressure. Someone who isn’t overwhelmed by multiple workflows and who, when facing deadlines for a financial report, onboarding staff and the need to set up systems and processes from scratch, enjoys the challenge of making things happen.
We are looking for someone who understands what it’s like to work in a startup environment where the organisation is very new, rapidly growing with limited existing systems and processes, while at the same time being unable to afford missing deadlines or under-performing staff.
Our ideal Operations and Finance Manager is someone who enjoys the challenge of creating systems and processes that may not exist, or improving existing ones. The role is for a detail-oriented person who likes systems and processes, but who is also very flexible and understands that we are an evolving organisation that cannot operate with unnecessary red tape.
amandla.mobi is very different from other organisations. In particular, we very rarely roll out specific projects or programmes. Instead, all our work is focused on campaigns, most of which are rapid response. We are looking for an Operations and Finance Manager who likes structure but isn't rigid. To be happy in this role, you need to be flexible and not get frustrated when plans change. We're looking for someone who loves creating a responsive finance and operations structure, but can also manage up and sideways to ensure all staff deliver on the organisation’s Key Performance Outputs and complete financial reports and other requirements on time.
To ensure we are independent and non-partisan, amandla.mobi only accepts funding from values aligned foundations, philanthropists, partner organisations and small once off and monthly donations from our members. We are focused first and foremost on being accountable to our members and values. Because the organisation is committed to being accountable to our members whose trust in us is the most important thing, as well as spending money wisely, all staff are subject to meeting Key Performance Output targets that are measured on a monthly basis.
The Operations and Finance Manager will report to the Executive Director.
The Operations and Finance Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Facilitate the development and implementation of operating systems, policies, procedures and strategies that improve organisational effectiveness, including HR.
- Work with legal and other consultants to ensure compliance with South African law. This may include, but is not limited to, compliance with POPI, labour law etc.
- Manage recruitment (of staff, volunteers, interns and consultants) and onboarding.
- Manage consultant contracts.
- Maintain personnel files, and ensure distributing and collecting timesheets, allocating disbursements, preparing and signing contracts and keeping of leave forms and register).
- Manage the operations team to ensure the smooth administrative operations of the office.
- Work with senior management to ensure strict adherence to the Performance Management Policy and processes, as well as the Disciplinary Policy and procedures, to ensure that all staff and contractors complete tasks and meet Key Performance Output targets in line with their respective employment contracts. Assist with performance management including staff performance appraisals, reviews, counseling, performance development plans etc. Manage professional development and learning across the organisation, including identifying and filling training needs, and building learning cycles into our day-to-day work.
- Manage efficient information and internal communication systems and ensure adherence to effective use of these systems.
- Oversee office and facilities’ management, including coordinating equipment purchases and maintenance, ensuring an up-to-date asset register including the tracking of assets signed out by staff, researching and securing the necessary insurance for assets, managing vendor accounts, and ensuring good relationships and compliance with rules set out with our lease contract.
- Monitor staff development and satisfaction.
- Work with the Executive Director to nurture and help grow amandla.mobi’s organisational culture.
- Support the Executive Director to develop an organisational strategy and in monitoring and evaluating progress against organisational vision.
- Maintain open lines of communication throughout the organisation around strategy, direction and vision.
- In close coordination with the Executive Director, take on special or ad hoc organisation wide projects as needed (specific projects to be determined based on experience and skill-set of successful candidate).
- Complete any other reasonable ad hoc duties, which may include data entry, fielding queries and other daily logistical needs.
- Ensure a strong filing system.
- Work with senior management to approve and track the organisation’s budget, as well as campaign and project specific budgets.
- Track income and expenditure, manage cash flow, adjust the organisation's financial forecasts, spot weaknesses and challenges in the short and long-term, and develop plans with senior management to ensure the organisation’s short and long-term financial sustainability. This includes ensuring expenditure and income across different grant specific budgets are tracked and in line with grant contracts; and routine comparison of budget projections with actual spending to identify potential areas of concern and recommend necessary budget modifications.
- Prepare documentation for monthly meetings with our external accountants to go through income and expenditure in order to ensure our books are up to date.
- Manage financial service providers including our external accountants and auditors.
- Ensure the organisation’s financial systems, policies, procedures and strategies are followed, including enhancing financial policies and ensuring highly efficient systems for processing requisitions, reimbursements and other financial systems. This includes ensuring strong internal financial controls, implementing and monitoring systems, policies and procedures and budgeting/planning processes, as well as suggesting and implementing best practices.
- Prepare invoices and requisitions for payments, including overseeing the Office Administrator researching and finding service providers that are ideally Black, women-owned businesses.
- Liaise with accountants on monthly salaries and tax deductions, work with staff and partners to prepare operations and activity budgets.
- Take full responsibility for ensuring all financial reports, statements and audits for donors are prepared well in advance and submitted on time. This includes ensuring compliance with donor specific financial reporting, financial monitoring etc., as well as working with our external accountants and auditors to complete our annual financial statements.
- Ensure financial compliance with CIPC, SARS and other bodies in order to maintain amandla.mobi’s good standing as a Non-Profit Company with Public Benefit Organisation (18A) status. This includes ensuring VAT compliance, preparing and making submissions for VAT Refund claims in line with local laws, and reviewing and submitting to SARS the monthly PAYE, UIF and SDL amounts due, before the 7th of every month on SARS e-filing.
- Develop a collaborative working relationships with partners and funders’ financial staff.
- Provide oversight, support and training to staff on financial tasks such as financial reporting, and tracking activity expenses.
- Play a key role in enabling the core work of amandla.mobi to happen through strong financial and operations management, which involves being understanding of shifts in the organisation’s priorities.
- Carrying out additional financial management related tasks that may emerge.
- Oversee employee and consultants payroll.
Skills and experience required
- Proven track record in managing finances and operations in the NGO sector.
- Proven track record of being able to work independently and take initiative at management level.
- Track record in organisational development, people management and working closely with others.
- Strong experience managing budgets and finances, preferably in a campaigning or non-profit context.
- Fluent in writing and speaking at least one local language and English.
- Extremely comfortable using technology from word processors, spreadsheets and databases, to online task and project management tools, cloud-based platforms and internal communication tools such as Slack; and able to quickly adapt to using new technology tools, and easily use Google to work out how to use different tools.
There are no educational requirements for this role.
Big pluses include
- Experience working in a startup environment where many systems and processes need to be set up from scratch.
- An understanding of the amandla.mobi model of mobile campaigning.
- Experience in working closely with communities and individuals affected by the issues we campaign on.
- Extensive network of community organisations, nonprofits and advocacy groups.
- A political understanding of South Africa.
- Member-focused fundraising experience.
- Experience managing/running campaigns in a digital context.
Salary will be determined based on your experience. All employees are subject to a probation period. amandla.mobi does not provide medical aid, pension, life assurance or any other benefits, to any of its staff.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted through our online application. Click here to visit the online application, or copy and paste this link https://www.amandla.mobi/operations_and_finance_manager_online_application .
Applicants must complete the online application questions and upload a CV in english (8 pages maximum).
Applications will close at 3pm on Friday 25 May 2018. Late applications will only be accepted at the discretion of the organisation.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send CVs to email@example.com. We will only process applications through the online application form.