Violence Prevention through Urban Upgrading (VPUU)
VPUU NPC is a Public Benefit Organisation implementing multisectoral integrated area based upgrading programmes of neighbourhoods in townships and informal settlements. This is done in partnership with communities, municipalities, provincial and national government.
We work in an integrated team of community participation, socio economic development, operation and maintenance, planning and design, infrastructure development, and knowledge management towards sustainable urban neighbourhoods. For our team we are looking for a
LED, Business Development Skills Expert
R300.000 p.a., R25.000 per month
24 months fixed term Contract
To provide strategic advice to the CEO and the organisation, to seek new opportunities and to further develop LED as an Area of Expertise in line with the organisation’ strategic goals.
Key Performance Areas:
- Further develop LED as an Area of Expertise together with the CEO and the leadership team - incl. conceptual frameworks and strategies, systems, processes, tools, packaging, and documentation
- Develop LED related- projects such as:
- LED strategy for a neighbourhood
- Developing and maintaining a database of people for training courses
- Developing a job seekers data base
- Siyayajika or similar business idea generation and mentorship
- Urban Agriculture and food security
- Diversification of businesses within an Alcohol Harms reduction process
- Support research partnerships and the development of robust M+E systems related to LED towards evidence-based implementation
- Manage and maintain a central repository of LED best practices, case studies, lessons learned, guidelines, standard operating procedures, templates, etc.
- Provide guidance, support, training and coaching to team members involved in LED-related projects
- Conduct trainings as part of the Citizen College
- Seek funding opportunities and provide input in the formulation of LED-related funding proposals
- Provide strategic advice to CEO and to project teams in relation to LED
- Build and maintain trust relationships with LED strategic partners
- Where the Lead is the designated project manager, ensure that projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget and manage team members assigned to the project
- At least 5 years of proven work experience in the relevant Area of Expertise
- At least 5 years of proven work experience in upgrading of low income neighbourhoods
- Work experience in a managerial position or in project management is a strong advantage
- Tertiary education in a field relevant to the Area of Expertise is a strong advantage
- Demonstrable strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Effective leadership and organizational skills
- Effective oral/written communication skills in at least 2 of the following languages: English, isiXhosa, Afrikaans
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Be experienced in using Salesforce and Project Management Software
- Valid Code EB drivers’ license
Please forward a CV and a covering letter, including certified copies of your ID and relevant qualifications to: VPUU, PO Box 2373 Cape Town 8000 or
Closing date for applications: Monday 30th April 2018
Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups as defined by the Employment Equity Act.
Applicants are respectfully informed that if no notification of appointment is received within one month from the closing date, they must accept that their applications were unsuccessful.