mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based global health not-for-profit organisation committed to eliminating the transmission of HIV from mothers to babies, and creating healthy futures for mothers, their families, and communities. m2m’s peer-based Mentor Mother model has proven effective in improving the health of women and their children, reducing mother-to-child HIV transmission rates, and generating significant savings on HIV treatment costs, while empowering HIV-positive women through training and employment. Since its founding almost 15 years ago, Mentor Mothers have reached more than 1.3 million HIV-positive mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The m2m model has been identified as a key strategy in the United Nations Global Plan to eliminate pediatric AIDS and promote healthy motherhood. Join us by visiting www.m2m.org or follow us @m2mtweets
The purpose of this position is to optimise the functioning of the RSI unit within the Department of Programmes and Technical Support (DPTS) through ensuring timely delivery of high quality outputs across the RSI function. This position will be responsible for managing the RSI Team, managing RSI projects, and providing Quality Assurance - thus managing the unit to efficiently deliver technically excellent outputs.
This position reports to the Deputy Director Research and Strategic Information and is based at m2m Head Office in Cape Town with opportunities for international travel (approximately 40%).
Key Performance Areas:
Lead and manage the staff of the Head Office RSI team
- Participate in the RSI Executive / Leadership Hub
- Manage the Head Office RSI Team
- Prepare performance management plans for all the staff of the unit in line with the strategic objectives of the RSI unit
- Mentor / coach Head Office RSI staff to develop a well-supported, high performing, and efficient team.
Manage RSI Projects:
- Develop and maintain an annual work plan for the RSI Unit
- Manage and oversee the enhancement and implementation of the Routine M&E System within and across all m2m supported countries and projects. This includes:
- Manage and oversee the development and implementation of the IBIF routine M&E System
- Manage and oversee the development / adaptation / refinement of M&E guidance, SOPs, tools and materials related to the routine M&E system within and across all m2m supported countries and projects.
- Manage and oversee the optimal use of Digital Data and Data Visualisation in support of RSI processes and output.
- Manage the Routine Annual Evaluation
- Manage ad hoc / special RSI projects undertaken by the Head Office RSI unit
Lead and manage QA/QI of all RSI processes and outputs:
- Ensure the technical quality of all RSI processes and outputs
- Participate in Head Office and in-country appointment of RSI staff
- Consult In-country Management on relevant capacity building and training required for in-country RSI staff
Lead, manage and oversee routine RSI activities in support of project / programme start-up, implementation and close-out:
- Manage and oversee the development of ME&L Plans in support of Head Office and Country proposal development and project start-up.
- Generate / oversee / manage the generation of routine and ad hoc reports / RSI dissemination materials for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage Project Close-out Reviews.
Lead, manage and oversee initiatives to develop RSI-related competencies amongst all m2m staff - at Head Office, and within and across all m2m supported countries:
- Lead / manage relevant training and capacity building efforts among staff at Head Office and among country teams. This includes:
- Curriculum development, material development and conducting / managing / overseeing training workshops / events.
- Oversee M&E training and capacity building on the IBIF project.
Participate in / contribute to all wider organisational processes, including strategic planning efforts as required.
Qualifications and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s level degree in Public Health or a Health and Development-related field.
- A minimum of ten years’ progressively responsible experience in managing HIV / PMTCT / RMNCH or related health and development research teams (from design, tool development, data collection / fieldwork, to reporting), operating in complex, resource constrained settings - preferably in a multi-country implementation environment.
- A proven track record in developing, implementing and maintaining complex, multi-country routine monitoring and evaluation systems for health, HIV/AIDS (or a related field) in resource constrained settings.
- A proven track record in managing Digital Data systems, and optimising the use of Digital Data running off mHealth Applications, for RSI purposes.
- Experience in leading competitive RSI bidding processes.
- Experience in generating RSI-related reports for multiple internal and external audiences – ranging from internal programme managers, Senior Management Team, the Board, to multiple external donors and other stakeholders.
- Familiarity with USAID and DFID reporting frameworks and requirements.
- Experience managing staff – from recruitment, orientation, training to performance planning and performance management.
- Excellent leadership, management, coordination, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Proven ability to lead and build a high performing and dynamic team: ability to manage, coach, mentor, develop and strengthen capacity for high performance.
- Proven ability to work independently and drive processes.
- Proven ability to develop and lead effective processes for consultation and meaningful participation of internal and external stakeholders at multiple levels.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including the ability to organize and interpret data and findings in oral and written form.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- Advanced skills in the use of statistical software packages (preferably STATA)
- Advanced skills in using electronic data bases (preferably Access and DHIS2).
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Applications: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 25 April 2017.