CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation and REPONGAC : Réseau des Plateformes d’ONG d’Afrique Centrale
CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole.
Created in 2008, REPONGAC assembles 10 national NGO umbrella platforms, which represent more than 1,200 Central African NGO. REPONGAC’s objectives are to influence regional institutions and to defend on the world stage the points of view of its NGO members on common regional issues. The coalition's strategy is to support civil society organisations in their partnerships and advocacy towards governments and regional institutions with regards to development policies’ design and implementation at the national, regional and international levels. One of REPONGAC’s key mandates is also to strengthen the institutional and organisational capacities of its members, its members’ members as well as of other civil society organisations.
Brief Description Of Job Purpose
The CIVICUS Fellowship Programme is an exciting new venture in which selected professionals are placed with CIVICUS national or regional member organisations for a period of 2 years. During this round, the fellow will be placed as a Partnerships Officer with Réseau des Plateformes d’ONG d’Afrique Centrale (REPONGAC), based in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo. S/he will work on strengthening REPONGAC’s engagement with civil society members and partners, leveraging resources, facilitating communications and supporting programmes’ implementation.
The primary aim of the fellowship programme is to promote knowledge exchange and learning, and build the capacity of both the host organisation and their members.
Qualifications And Experience
Degree in international relations, social or development studies/ or equivalent
- At least 3-4 years of work experience in civil society strengthening, project management, fundraising and/or communication
- Demonstrated long term commitment to civil society and citizen action
- Previous experience working within a civil society network (desirable)
- Expertise in the field of advocacy or research on peace, security and conflict resolution (desirable)
Knowledge and Competencies
- Good knowledge of global/regional dynamics and civil society issues, particularly in Central Africa
- Understanding of membership and network engagement principles
- Excellent relational and communicational skills
- Good knowledge of main donors in the region and their requirements, and ability to draft, negotiate and analyse programme proposals
- Good strategic research and analytical skills, including from different sources
- Proven ability to organise your work, within a team and independently, and to adapt to different situations
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent written and oral fluency in French
- Good written and oral fluency in English
- Other regional language knowledge desirable
- Willingness to travel within the region
Applicants from the region are strongly encouraged.
Key Responsibilities Of This Role
- Support the delivery of REPONGAC Strategic Plan and objectives (50%)
- Strengthen REPONGAC communications and engagement (30%)
- Promote knowledge exchange and learning between REPONGAC and its members, and between CIVICUS, CIVICUS members, and REPONGAC (20%)
Main Activities Of This Role
Support the delivery of REPONGAC’s Strategic Plan and objectives (50%)
- Develop project proposals in line with REPONGAC’s Strategic Objectives, and find resources for its implementation
- Support REPONGAC programmes’ implementation
- Put in place and lead on a monitoring and evaluation system
Strengthen REPONGAC’s communications and engagement (30%)
- Produce monthly newsletter and update website content
- Support REPONGAC members’ communications
- Build communications and engagement skills within REPONGAC and its members
- Participate in field missions and meetings
Knowledge Exchange and Learning (20%)
- Contribute knowledge to CIVICUS’ peer learning exchanges, which will convene CIVICUS members around specific themes
- Contribute knowledge and research to both CIVICUS and REPONGAC’s member networks
- Support regional coordination of REPONGAC and CIVICUS’ member networks
- Share knowledge and experience through CIVICUS social media, OpEds, and other publications, in collaboration with the communication team
Location: Kinshasa, DRC
Start date: anticipated to be July 2018, starting with a 2 weeks induction in Johannesburg, South Africa
Duration: 24 months’
Salary: US$ 38340 annually
To apply please submit (in French or English):
- A motivational letter answering the below questions (200 words max for each question)
- Please describe your experience working or living in a developing country or marginalized community, including where you were and what you did (professionally, academics or personally).
- You just arrived after a 12-hour bus trip to a rural setting to meet with community leaders. However, the person you are to meet at the bus station is not there. What do you do?
- How will you cope with working and living abroad for 2 years with limited visits to your friends and family?
- A detailed CV
- Contact details of three current references
to email@example.com by 20 April 2018.
Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.