Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional Pretoria-based candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
SAEP is a five-year program (ending March 2022) that works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus Program resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Details of the Position Description:
SAEP’s technical approach is organized around the following five outcome areas:
- Improved regulation, planning and procurement for energy
- Improved commercial viability of utilities
- Improved regional harmonization and cross-border trade
- Renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies and practices locally demonstrated
- Increased human and institutional capacity
The SAEP core technical team includes an Outcome Lead for each of the five areas. Outcome Leads are responsible for coordinating all of the project’s activities under the outcome areas. Outcome Leads build and maintain relationships with project counterparts, scope activities / interventions and gain counterpart buy-in, develop or manage the execution of outcome activities and work with other Outcome Leads and Country Managers to ensure careful alignment of project activities and replication of successful activities throughout the region.
This position, Deputy Outcome Lead, will support the Outcome 1 Lead in the following ways:
- Provide leadership during times when the Outcome Lead is unavailable.
- Provide technical skills that complements the Outcome 1 Lead’s skills.
- Provide managerial support to the Outcome 1 Lead.
Activities and Duties will include:
As directed by the Outcome 1 Lead, the Employee shall support the Outcome 1 Lead as needed in the planning and execution of activities related to the following Outcome 1 intervention areas:
- Intervention 1: Technical assistance to enhance the ability and capacity of the regulatory authority to provide a fair and balanced regulatory environment as well as consistent direction in planning and procurement
- Intervention 2: Technical assistance for the development and review of Integrated Resource Plans
- Intervention 3: Technical support to assist in preparation of integrated power systems, transmission, or distribution master plans that look at the entire value chain
- Intervention 4: Technical assistance to improve the design, implementation, and evaluation of tenders for energy in line with international best practice
- Intervention 5: Technical assistance to improve legal and regulatory frameworks for natural gas
Project leadership may update and change the Outcome 1 intervention areas as the project progresses.
The Deputy Outcome 1 lead will support the Outcome 1 lead on an as-needed basis, with the working relationship evolving over time. Anticipated support includes the following:
- Develop Scopes of Work: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may develop scopes of work for subcontractors, project personnel, or outside consultants to execute work plan activities, as needed
- Draft and Review Deliverables: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may outline, draft, contribute to and/or review deliverables for technical content and quality, as needed
- Manage Work Streams: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may manage and oversee work streams that align with his/her technical skills, as needed
- Meet with Counterparts: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may meet with counterparts and or manage certain counterpart communications and outreach as needed
- Coordinate with Project Team: The Deputy Outcome 1 Lead may coordinate activities with other Outcome Leads and/or Country Managers to ensure coordination of activities, as needed
Skills / Competencies required:
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Strong understanding of the electricity regulatory and policy environment in one or more SADC countries
- Ability to build productive working relationships; existing relationships in the Southern African power sector preferred
- Strong facilitation skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail a must
- Flexible and able to respond to change
- English language fluency (oral and written)
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree/National Diploma in Business Operations, Management Science, Accounting/Finance, Law, Energy Policy, or Economics. Master’s degree strongly preferred
- A minimum of seven (7) years progressive work experience working in a fast paced, complex environment with demonstrated increased responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, driving results across multiple work streams
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint)
- Prior experience on a donor-funded energy sector project. USAID-funded project preferred
- Strong individual initiative, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product, motivate others to produce strong work product and solve problems
- Experience in project management related work
- Familiarity with Drupal and SharePoint is a plus
- Preference will be given to SADC nationals
- Must have the ability to work in South Africa
Please send a cover letter stating role applicability and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 March 2018. Please include the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.