IFAW’s mission is to rescue and protect animals around the world. IFAW rescues individuals, safeguard populations, and preserve habitat.
Founded in 1969 in Canada and in the UK in 1981, the International Fund for Animal Welfare saves individual animals, animal populations and habitats all over the world. With projects in more than 40 countries, IFAW provides hands-on assistance to animals in need, whether it's dogs and cats, wildlife and livestock, or rescuing animals in the wake of disasters. We also advocate saving populations from cruelty and depletion, such as our campaign to end commercial whaling and seal hunts.
Based in Cape Town, the International Fund for Animal Welfare is looking for a
LANDSCAPE CONSERVATION OFFICER
Working with the Director, the Landscape Conservation Officer oversees the effective development and implementation of IFAW’s programmatic strategies within the Landscape Conservation Program, where appropriate, in line with IFAW’s international institutional priorities.
The Landscape Conservation Officer will be responsible for:
- Strategic development and implementation of IFAW’s program within the regions where the Landscape Conservation Program is implemented
- Strategic development of program integration with other program areas to ensure the institutional objectives of cross programmatic integration are realized
- Assisting of regional programme planning, monitoring and evaluation in line with institutional goals and regional objectives
- Identifying new program opportunities and assisting with conducting due diligence to ensure institutional goals and regional objectives are aligned
- Ensuring effective development of strategies for IFAW Landscape Conservation programs are designed to change public, government and business behavior, in collaboration with the Regional Director, Program Directors and appropriate HQ and IOC staff.
- Working with Regional and Program Directors to ensure effective planning and oversight of Landscape Conservation program budgets and implement administrative systems within the program function to ensure timeous delivery of budgets, work plans, communication opportunities and project plans
- Ensuring effective communication and integration with other IFAW functions as appropriate, including development, communications, finance and other country/regional offices, International Operations Centre and headquarters
- Providing technical expertise to the organization as it relates to program and operations within the Landscape Conservation program to inform institutional goals and enhance IFAW’s presence
- Maintaining a thorough working knowledge of animal welfare and conservation issues as well as other related issues, including keeping abreast of new developments in connection with programme initiatives
Requirements for this post include:
- Appropriate education/work experience in animal welfare/conservation
- At least 4 years’ experience in programme management in animal welfare/conservation
- An effective knowledge of media, national and international politics and conservation trends
- Have a sound knowledge of all the program areas IFAW is involved in institutional.
- Proven track-record in working on implementation of programs and an understanding of the importance of planning, monitoring and evaluation in delivering effective programmes
- Excellent leadership and management skills developed from managing a staff team
- Computer literate
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in English
- Able to undertake regular international travel