Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Opportunity Closing Date: March 23, 2018
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional Pretoria-based candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
SAEP is a five-year program (ending March 2022) that works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus Program resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
DETAILS OF THE POSITION DESCRIPTION
SAEP presents unique and considerable operational challenges. The program operates in 11 SADC countries, delivering activities across five major outcome areas, and bringing together the technical assistance and financing capabilities of the Power Africa ecosystem, including 12 US government agencies, private sector participants and major donors. From an operational standpoint, the SAEP Program Management Office (PMO) is the central focal point for the coordination of each of these stakeholders. The PMO works to ensure each stakeholder is aware of the activities of the other and that project activities are delivered in a coordinated fashion. The below write up shows the different components that the PMO manages. In addition to these, the PMO Lead has major responsibilities aligned with overall program management.
The Program Management Office (PMO) Lead is a member of the SAEP senior management team and has lead responsibility of driving the coordination and communication necessary to make this complex and challenging project successful. The PMO Lead oversees a dedicated a team of specialists responsible for M&E, stakeholder engagement and management, communications, knowledge management, environmental compliance and gender. The position reports to the Chief of Party (COP), and works closely with both the Deputy Chiefs of Party/Technical and Deputy Chiefs of Party Finance & Operations.
ACTIVITIES AND DUTIES:
Specific Tasks Applicable to the Position. As directed by the COP or his/her designee, the Employee shall perform, oversee and support the performance of the following specific tasks, among others as the need arises:
- Support the COP in tracking progress against delivering contractually-required deliverables. This shall include maintaining a Microsoft Project-based tracker of activities and working to minimize delays in project activities
- Work with SAEP Senior Management, Outcome Leads and Country Managers to develop detailed Scopes of Work (SOWs) for activities and forecast the cost of activities
- Work with the Logistics Specialist to coordinate and book travel for SAEP staff
- Manage the Communications Specialist to identify and engage external stakeholders, solicit and understand their priorities and develop and submit on time high-quality versions of required reports (e.g., biweeklies, quarterlies, annuals), and communications pieces
- Lead in reviewing all Program work products to ensure quality and consistency with USAID branding and marking requirements through content and copy-editing
- Work with all Program staff to plan and manage events
- Oversee the Knowledge Manager to maintain the SAEP archives, including archiving all critical project documents and USAID approvals
- Socialize program results and impacts with outcome leads to scale program success
- Coordinated with all technical delivery personnel to develop, review and submit trip reports on time and share them with USAID/Southern Africa for record-keeping purposes
- Work with outcome leads and country managers to maintain the Customer Relationship Management tool to facilitate relationship and partnership building
- Work with Outcome Leads and Country Managers to obtain and document Letters of Collaboration (LOCs) from program counterparts working with SAEP
- Manage the Environmental Specialist to ensure all activities have environmental mitigation action plans and are compliant with USAID and local standards and regulations
- Manage the Gender Specialist to ensure all activities include, if applicable, a well-defined gender component and are aligned with the Program’s Gender Action Plan
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)/Results
- Oversee the M&E Specialist to ensure proper monitoring and evaluation of all SAEP technical delivery against SAEP’s approved Performance Management and Evaluation Plan.
- Ensure Program M&E methodologies are fully developed, documented and defensible
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Experience managing a team of professionals
- Ability to build productive working relationships
- Strong facilitation skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail a must
- Flexible and able to respond to change
- English language fluency (oral and written)
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree/National Diploma in Business Operations, Management Science, Accounting/Finance, or Economics. Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of seven (7) years progressive work experience working in a fast paced, complex environment with demonstrated increased responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage others, driving results across multiple work streams
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint)
- Prior experience on a donor-funded energy sector project. USAID-funded project preferred
- Strong individual initiative, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product, motivate others to produce strong work product and solve problems
- Experience in project management related work
- Familiarity with Drupal and SharePoint is a plus
- Preference will be given to SADC nationals
- Must have the ability to work in South Africa
Please send a cover letter stating role applicability and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to email@example.com by 23 March 2018. Please include the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.