IkamvaYouth is a township-based volunteer programme that gets learners out of poverty through education. The organisation exists to reduce inequality in South Africa, and its track record of matric results, access to post-school opportunities, and alumni success is proof that positive change is possible.
IkamvaYouth seeks to appoint a Branch Assistant based in Durban. This social entrepreneur must be passionate about the power of education to transform lives and communities, and want to make a difference. This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in a by-youth for-youth educational movement that empowers young people to take their futures into their own hands.
- Communication and logistics for daily activities, programme delivery and events Organization and communication skills)
- Personally taking attendance at every homework and tutoring session and ensuring that learners' attendance improves (Reliability, commitment and good rapport with learners)
- Organize meetings and compile minutes (Good writing skills)
- Data capturing and Filing (Attention to detail)
- Collecting school reports and entering data into database (Consistently ensuring that reports are collected, filed and that data is captured)
- Communicating with volunteers and learners through email, phone and bulk sms
- Assisting with general administration and providing assistance to the branch coordinator (Ability to identify needs, take initiative and be a reliable team member)
- Assisting with general lab duties such as printing, photocopying and ensures proper usage and maintenance of the environment. (Computer skills and organization)
- Teach Computer Literacy to learners after school using a simple curriculum provided by IkamvaYouth (Computer literacy skills, tutoring/presenting/teaching experience and ability)
Qualification & Competencies required:
- A degree or a post-matric qualification
- Highly entrepreneurial outlook and can-do attitude;
- Organized and efficient;
- Impeccable time management skills, data collection and reporting must be accurate and timely;
- Passion for working with young people and a pro-active energy;
- Ability to work alone and take initiative;
- Adept at using computers (Microsoft Office, social media and internet);
- Ability to work virtually (many discussions, meetings and document development occur collaboratively online);
- As an organization that supports community development, the preferred candidate would be South African and ideally reside in the KZN Province.
Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter via email to email@example.com with the subject heading “Umlazi BA” by 28 February 2018.
Due to the volume of applicants, should you not receive feedback within 2 weeks please consider your application unsuccessful.