ActionAid is an international anti-poverty agency formed in 1972. We are a partnership between people in poor and rich countries working together to end poverty and injustice. Today we are working with over 15 million of the world’s poorest and excluded people in over 45 countries worldwide to secure their rights to a life free of poverty and injustice, and with the support of half a million donors and supporters.
We are recruiting for an Advocacy and Research Officer for our Public Financing for Agriculture (PFA) Project on a fixed term contract to August 2020 and to be based in any country where ActionAid International has an office.
Reporting to the International Project Manager, Public Finance for Agriculture (PFA), as the project focal point on research and advocacy the Advocacy and Research Officer will:
- Promote effective budget tracking and budget advocacy initiatives to increase the ability of women farmers and other marginalised smallholders to gain necessary support from government.
- Coordinate coherent linkages between diverse group of stakeholders at regional and continental level in Africa – including producer organisations, women smallholder organisations, AUC commission, academics, and other non-state actors so as to enable more effective national and international influencing.
- Facilitate the development of credible evidence on the importance of public financing for agriculture on the continent in order to hold governments accountable for budgets and spending.
- Be responsible for developing regional and continental advocacy strategy for the PFA Project and connecting with internal and external stakeholders on the same (including ActionAid’s Resilient Livelihoods & Climate Justice platform)
To be considered, applicants should:
- Have a relevant degree / Masters or equivalent experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, ability to inform and engage through written communication
- At least 2 years’ experience working in an international agency/across countries on public financing for agriculture or agricultural issues.
- Comprehensive understanding of rights-based programme practice on improving public accountability for public policies & budgets - ideally linked to agriculture - and the potential to link this work to national and international influencing work.
- Ability to negotiate and influence to get results
- Basic skills in supporting and implementing applied research to inform development practice and/or to influence decision-makers
- Strong networking/relationship-building skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and resourcefulness
For more infromation you can go to:
Applications by 6th March 2018 to email@example.com with the title Advocacy and Research Officer PFA
Due to high volumes of applications received; should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
ActionAid welcomes applications from all sections of the community and we promote diversity.