Save the Children South Africa
|Reports to:||Project Manager|
|Base:||3 Positions: KZN (Durban/Port Shepstone), Gauteng (Johannesburg), Mpumalanga (Tshakastad)|
|Fixed-term contract:||20 months|
|Child Protection Level:||3|
|Travel Requirements:||Travel within the province, some national|
|Budget Responsibilities:||Own Projects only|
|Asset Responsibilities:||Project related|
|External Representation:||ECD Sector Stakeholders|
Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) works with children and their families in some of the nation’s most marginalised communities. SCSA is at the forefront of saving children’s lives and creating lasting change for children and their families, reaching over 100,000 children directly and over a million children indirectly annually through child rights, health and nutrition, child protection and education programmes.
From 2018-2020, SCSA will implement the Happy Living and Learning project in ECD centres in Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu Natal and Mpumalanga. With support from the project manager, the ECD project officer will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the ECD project activities at the selected sites. The project officer will facilitate training for ECD practitioners, supervisors and caregivers in health, education, child protection and child rights and governance. S/he will liaise with key stakeholders in the community and caregivers.
- Conduct assessment of ECD sites, and assist in the identification of skill and resource gaps
- Initiate and engage with local relevant ECD forums and local communities
- Develop and maintain key government stakeholder relationships
- Schedule and implement training workshops and provide follow-up support to the ECD practitioners, staff and caregivers
- Assist in the development and revision of training materials
- Conduct basic assessment and evaluation of learning outcomes
- Mentor ECD staff in classroom practices and implementation of new skills & knowledge
- In collaboration with M& E staff, develop monitoring plans for effective delivery of training in the province
- Draft reports on training for inclusion in donor reports
- Organise the logistics, communications and preparations of materials and supplies for training events
- Post-matriculation diploma or degree in Child Care or Early Childhood Development
Level of Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in the ECD sector (must have knowledge of early childhood development service provision sector – Government and non-governmental)
- At least 2 years’ experience in training/facilitation (ECD Management, health, early childhood development, education, child protection and child rights)
- Excellent language proficiency in English and isiZulu/SiSwati/SeSotho/Sepedi/Tswana
- Fully computer literate – internet, e-mail, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Valid driving licence, and 3 years daily driving experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Efficient personal organisational skills, including time management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and take decisions at appropriate level.
- Accuracy, honesty and openness.
- Mature and disciplined approach to work.
Application and contact details: Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes (covering letter and CV) to Hmalatji@savethechildren.org.za by 02 March 2018. Please indicate clearly the position you are applying for and the provincial location. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.