Save the Children South Africa
|Job Title:||Project Manager|
|Reports to:||Thematic Lead/Provincial Managers|
|Fixed-term contract:||20 months|
|Child Protection Level:||3|
|Travel Requirements:||Travel within provinces: Mpumalanga, KZN and Gauteng, some national|
|Budget Responsibilities:||Own Projects only|
|Asset Responsibilities:||Project related|
|External Representation:||ECD Sector Stakeholders|
Save the Children South Africa (SCSA) works with children and their families in some of the nation’s most marginalised communities. SCSA is at the forefront of saving children’s lives and creating lasting change for children and their families, reaching over 100,000 children directly and over a million children indirectly annually through child rights, health and nutrition, child protection and education programmes.
From 2018-2020, SCSA will implement the Happy Living and Learning project in ECD centres in Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu Natal and Mpumalanga. The project is based on SCSA’s holistic/integrated approach to early childhood development. The project manager will be directly responsible for managing the project. S/he will be responsible for overall project planning and implementation, managing programme quality, financial and narrative reporting, and liaison with relevant stakeholders and community mobilisation. Additional responsibilities include managing project staff, relations with key partners and service providers.
- Manage the planning, implementation and monitoring of the project, including development of annual work plans;
- Co-ordinate the development of resources and material required for the project training and other activities;
- Initiate and maintain strong relationships with government and other stakeholders;
- Provide leadership to the Project Team to enable achievement of project goals;
- Develop and mentor team members to ensure project quality;
- Represent SCSA in external meetings;
- Ensure that narrative progress reports are prepared for submission to donors;
- Manage project budgets in line with donor conditions and project plans;
- Oversee data collection efforts in collaboration with M&E and research team;
- Co-ordinate the development and dissemination of up-to-date information, education, and communication (IEC) materials;
- Identify and document lessons learned, sound practices and success stories;
- Conduct other related responsibilities as the programme director may assign.
- Post-matriculation diploma or degree in Child Care or Early Childhood Development
Level of Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in the ECD sector (must have knowledge of early childhood development service provision sector – Government and non-governmental)
- At least 3 years’ experience in project management (ECD, health, education, child protection and child rights)
- Excellent language proficiency in English and isiZulu/SiSwati/SeSotho/Sepedi/Tswana
- Fully computer literate – internet, e-mail, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Valid driving licence, and 3 years daily driving experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Efficient personal organisational skills, including time management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and take decisions at appropriate level.
- Accuracy, honesty and openness.
- Mature and disciplined approach to work.
Application and contact details: Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes (covering letter and CV) to Hmalatji@savethechildren.org.za by 02 March 2018. Please indicate clearly the position you are applying for and the provincial location. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.