AIDS and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa (ARASA)
The AIDS and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa (ARASA) is a regional partnership of over 90 non-governmental organisations working together in 18 countries in southern and east Africa to promote a human rights based response to HIV and TB, through capacity building and advocacy.
ARASA seeks to appoint a Communications Officer to be based in Windhoek, Namibia or Cape Town.
Salary: ARASA offers an attractive remuneration package, commensurate with experience
- Update and implement an information and communication strategy in consultation with the Deputy Director and other ARASA team members
- Write reports and prepare various types of documentation that is accessible to relevant target groups (in English) and coordinate translation into other languages as necessary
- Raise and maintain the profile of ARASA through different outlets, including the traditional media as well as through social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Develop creative ways to document the progress of ARASA programmes through, for example, photographs, art and case studies
- Solicit contributions to and write, edit, design and distribute the ARASA quarterly newsletter
- Assist in the production of advocacy and capacity building communication materials and develop and implement appropriate media strategies for the dissemination and publication of these materials
- Coordinate the collection and cataloguing of material published by ARASA partners and facilitate the sharing of this information amongst ARASA partners
- Upgrade and update the ARASA website on an ongoing basis
- Assist with the regular updating and maintenance of ARASA’s online training facility
- Ensure that ARASA’s publications are of high quality and are disseminated appropriately
- Assist with the preparation of programme and other reports
- Explore and share good practices in information and communication processes within ARASA and with ARASA partners
- Liaise with the media to profile ARASA
- Write and circulate press releases and undertake media advocacy where appropriate and support ARASA partners to do the same where necessary
- Assist in capacity building on information and communication for ARASA team members and ARASA partners
- Degree or diploma in Media Studies, Communication or Public Relations
- Appropriate experience may be considered in place of a degree or diploma
- At least five years’ experience in development communication and information management and strong experience in the management of relationships with media representatives, government officials, community groups and civil society organisations in southern and east Africa.
- Have proven skills and experience in the writing of press releases and articles for traditional, electronic and social media
- Previous work experience in the field of HIV, TB and human rights in the region will be an advantage
- Computer literacy and desktop publishing skills and experience in the management of websites
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team are essential
- Verbal and written communication, research and analytical skills are required
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite and knowledge of Portuguese or French is desirable
To apply, submit CV and motivational letter as well as a sample of recent writing to the Director at email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Incomplete applications or those submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more about the AIDS and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa, refer to www.arasa.info
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies