Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers in Africa. FTA aims to effectively represent and provide services to producers within the International Fairtrade system and to contribute to livelihood improvement of African producers by increasing access to markets. Established in 2005, the FTA directs policy and strategic development of the organisation. FTA has four regional networks - Eastern, Southern, West and North Africa supporting producer activities.
FTA seeks to appoint a Head of Region, based in South Africa.
Salary: R19 500 to R26 497
Report to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Strategic Leadership and Governance
- Formulate, develop and implement FTA strategies for the region
- Set performance targets for own region and monitor the same
- Ensure effective working relationships with stakeholders
Regional Staff Management
- Liaise with the HR Manager to carry out recruitments for the region
- Staff orientation/ induction on all the organisations operational structure and practices for all new employees in the region
- Set targets, monitor and review performance of direct reports
- Use local producer knowledge for input to head office on prioritisation of programmes
- Roll out selected programmes and projects through planning, coordinating and prioritising regional activities
- Develop, implement and manage a robust strategic fundraising strategy to secure funding for the region
- Be the voice for the producers’ identified challenges
- Represent the region in stakeholder engagements and in external fora.
- Sit in regional round tables to represent producers on issues beyond certification
- Conduct advocacy with high-level targets on these key priorities for producers
- Support Head of Policy and Advocacy in providing updates and information on Southern Africa Network advocacy work to board members and potential donors, presenting updates in person when required
- Overall responsibility in ensuring the implementation of FTA financial and accounting rules and procedures
- Prepare and manage overall annual regional budgets
- Involved in financial resource mobilisation for the region programmes through regional fundraising strategy and plans
- Participate in audits and submit the required reports
- Submit weekly RED LIST and Action Plan to COO
- Participate in standards review processes within the system
- Support training and communication on FLO’s prices and price setting to FTA producer members
- Follow through certification decisions to maintain producers in the system
- Support trader engagement initiatives in the Region
- Strengthen the trader platforms within the Region
- Ensure overall good working relationships with stakeholders
- Support established country networks
- Ensure Regional AFCs and participation of Regional Delegates in Continental AFC and General Assembly
- Identify, establish and maintain relationships with the local partners
- Keep abreast of legislation in key countries
- Maintain a positive and healthy working relationships with the Regional Board
- Engage and tap the resource in the Board in meeting the FTA regional objectives
- Work with the Regional Board Chair to develop a Board and Board Committee meetings schedule.
- Organise Board meetings and ensure the preparation and packaging of Board Papers
- Act as secretary to the Board. Take minutes and follow up on actions.
- Be custodian of Board Minutes Book
- Degree in Business, Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies or related fields
- Post graduate degree desired
- Certificate in Project Management
- At least five years’ experience within the Southern Africa Region
- At least two years’ in senior management
- Leadership skills, Project Management skills, Budget Development and Management, Interpersonal skills, Proposal Development, Fundraising, Strategy formulation and implementation
An application form can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website. (CVs will not be accepted) http://www.fairtradeafrica.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/BUSINESS-DEVELOPMENT-ADVISOR-SA.pdf
If you have any queries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call +254 202721930 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team or Head of Region.
Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a condition of employment.
Completed applications should be e-mailed to email@example.com
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Fairtrade Africa, refer to www.fairtradeafrica.net
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies