|Job Title: Programme Administrative Assistant
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL ENTITY: South Africa National Office
|Job Purpose: To provide administrative support to the Amnesty International South Africa Staff that specifically relate to their campaigning and research work activities for the following projects: Women & marginalised groups; Media, Digital and Communications; Membership & Growth; Economic, Social & Cultural Rights and Justice and Accountability. Also, to provide PA support to the Executive Director.
AI SOUTH AFRICA PURPOSE: Amnesty International South Africa (AISA) is a national human rights entity that is part of a global human rights movement, established to address national human rights priorities as well as create the possibility for people in South Africa to join Amnesty International’s global human rights campaigns. Our mission in South Africa is to address pertinent national human rights issues through research and campaigning, and to empower South Africans to take action on issues that matter to them through AI’s international human rights movement; and to leverage South Africa’s influence regionally and globally to promote human rights domestically, bilaterally and internationally.
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PURPOSE: We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal rights standards.
Reporting to: Finance and Human Resources Manager
Posts that this job manages: This job has no line management responsibilities. The person in this position must ensure commitment to service excellence through providing a professional service to Project Staff and the Executive Director. The commitment to understand and engage with others in a manner that demonstrates equality and equity, fosters respect, and upholds the dignity of all n the spirit of Ubuntu.
|Main Responsibilities and Key Requirements For This Position:
Providing Project Administrative Support to Programme Staff:
- Assist the teams with administrative task; electronic filing; updating databases both hard and soft copy.
- All Project documentation is professionally prepared and filed: Letters and reports are typed and/or formatted professionally and speedily – well before set deadlines. Documents are always printed and distributed when necessary. Care is taken to clarify and understand the needs of Programme staff to ensure sufficient delivery.
- An efficient database is designed that contains all relevant information on existing and potential AISA partners, clients, Campaigners and funder organisations, media, national, regional, continental and international human rights organisations. The database is up to date and accurately reflects all contacts and is easily accessible to Programme staff.
- Programme stationery and equipment: Needs for equipment, furniture and stationery are pre-empted when possible. A system is designed and managed to ensure that Programme staff needs are always met. Requests for orders are managed with a sense of responsibility and urgency. Feedback is given to ineffective service providers, ensuring a better service in future. S/he is also good in managing receiving deliveries for the office with supervision from Finance and Human Resources Manager.
- Campaign events, seminars, media briefings and dialogues: Coordinate venue and catering requirements for workshops and seminars.
- Coordinate travel and accommodation arrangements: Flights, cars and accommodation are booked when necessary. staff are questioned to ensure that all their requirements are considered ensuring that arrangements are trusted to be complete and thorough. Itineraries are prepared in advance, complete and detailed to avoid any misunderstandings. When necessary foreign exchange is organised
- Minute-taking: Minutes are taken at Staff Meetings and works closely with Front Office Staff Member. Produces comprehensive and accurate minutes and ensures that they are circulated within 4 days of the meeting. Accurate minutes and agenda and supporting documents are distributed timeously and efficiently and there are no problems.
Providing PA Support to Executive Director:
- Manage the Office (turn on computer, ensure office is clean and presentable; ventilate office; ensure desk or wall calendar accurately displays relevant date; ensure clean water and tumblers and water is refreshed.
- Manage the ED’s Diary ensuring that appointments are carefully made and reconfirmed in advance of meetings and closely coordinated with the ED.
- Manage the ED’’s travel including flights, shuttle, per diem and substance travel is timeously arranged.
- Ensure travel itineraries are clearly and carefully collated and flights reconfirmed with travel agents.
Providing Financial Assistance Support to Finance and Human Resources Manager:
- Manage reconciliation reports related to travel invoices
- Assist in providing monthly recons of invoices related to travel service providers
|WHAT DOES SUCCESS LOOK LIKE IN THIS JOB?
- Comparative quotes are always promptly received from approved service providers. Travel Agents are accessed and international flights and insurance cover obtained in advance from travel agent.
- Correspondence is responded to professionally, accurately and timeously. Initiative and discretion are exercised when assistance is required in relation to email and telephonic communication. Communication is accurately reflected and captured documents.
- New venues are constantly being explored and evaluated for suitability for meetings to take place. Market related prices are negotiated for venues and catering. Great care is taken to ensure that special meal requirements are considered for all that will attend the meeting. This could possibly take the form of a pre-meeting checklist or courtesy phone call. When appropriate feedback and guidance is provided to the venue regarding seat arrangements, meal and refreshment times and the type and quality of food.
- Needs for equipment, furniture and stationery are pre-empted when possible. A system is designed and managed to ensure that Programme staff needs are always met. Requests for orders are managed with a sense of responsibility and urgency. Feedback is given to ineffective service providers, ensuring a better service in future. S/he is also good in managing receiving deliveries for the Programme without supervision.
- An efficient database is designed that contains all relevant information. The data base is up to date and accurately reflects all contacts associated to the Projects. A comprehensive mailing list is kept up to date based on the latest information off the database. The database is easily accessible to all staff.
- The Programme Administrator always produces comprehensive and accurate minutes and ensures that they are circulated within five days of the meeting. Accurate minutes and agenda and supporting documents are distributed timeously and efficiently and there are no problems.
- Flights, cars and accommodation are booked when necessary. Clients are questioned to ensure that all their requirements are considered ensuring that arrangements are trusted to be complete and thorough. Itineraries are prepared in advance, complete and detailed to avoid any misunderstandings. When necessary foreign exchange is organised.
|QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Incumbent to have an Office Diploma in Office Administration – a Bcom. degree or equivalent degree is desirable.
- A minimum of three years working experience in this field is required for this position.
- General knowledge of South Africa and Southern Africa.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and understanding of and commitment to human rights issues.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to gather and process human rights-related information/material.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing. Experience of establishing and maintaining office systems and coordinating an efficient flow of communications and information.
- Experience of information management, including the creation and maintenance of electronic databases.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities.
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams.
- Microsoft Office package experience including Excel is essential.
Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff are expected to
work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST:
Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organisation, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with AI’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org