The Message Trust South Africa
The Message Trust South Africa exists to raise up generations of urban heroes, creating opportunities for tens of thousands of urban teenagers and young adults to hear the good news of Jesus in word and demonstrated in action.
The Message Trust seeks to appoint a Chaplain to be based in Cape Town.
- Implement the pathways mentorship process with young men in MEP, Reintegration and Gangstar Enterprises
- Identify areas of challenge and areas of excellence in their development
- Visit and oversee family relationships, reporting findings to the MEP team. Engaging families into the MEP process and arranging family support days
- Report progress of individuals in weekly team meetings, and to provide clear and accurate report monthly for MEP Team leader, Gangstar Business Manager and Exec. This allows the leadership to have a clear understanding of the development of each individual coming through MEP
- Facilitate MEP curriculum lessons in MEP in Prison, MEP Homes and MEP Reintegration
- Daily, high quality provision that is relevant, purposeful and inspires a greater understanding of our Christian ethos helping MEP individuals to grow and become all they can be
- Conduct a weekly one hour one to one with each Gangstar and Reintegration beneficiary assessing and recording their development which will feed into our Pathways report
- Oversight and lead of weekly discipleship group in the OAKS halfway home, inviting MEP graduates to attend
- Work and build strong relationships with government and other charitable organisations to ensure beneficiaries receive the help and support in areas of need
- Develop working relationships with the local churches that beneficiaries attend as part of the monitoring of progress on the Pathways Programme
- Train staff members in working with dysfunctional and broken people, including those who have issues with addictions
- Pioneer new ways to help facilitate the brotherhood (culture) and support of MEP students once released from prison
- Oversee the leadership and mentorship of young men in the Oaks Halfway Home, ensuring each house member is following code of conduct and discipleship process
- Be trained and equipped to facilitate our gang awareness schools programme (REFOCUS) and teach in schools when required
- Committed Christian leader with experience in working with disadvantaged and dysfunctional people
- Speak Xhosa fluently
- Work in a diverse team and cross culturally
- Driver’s license
- Experience of working with youth at risk, especially those incarcerated
- Experience of providing and delivering pastoral support
- Leadership and training experience
- The willingness to go many extra miles for the cause
- A passion to see young, disadvantaged people achieving their full potential
- A strong ability to organise and complete administrative tasks.
- Ability to take responsibility and initiative
- A team player who respects and supports the leadership of others
- Have a good reputation for displaying the following characteristics:
- Communication skill
- Ability to take initiative
- Dependable and Loyal
- Adaptable and flexible with problem-solving approach
- Ability to take constructive criticism
- Ability to hold own counsel
- Outgoing disposition
- Respect for authority
- Absolute discretion with members of the opposite sex
- Operate in an anti-discriminatory way
- Ability to show evidence of possessing the following skills
- Ability to follow and carry out set administrative tasks/assignments
- Ability to initiate within agreed parameters
- Adapt quickly and take responsibility when required to
- Ability to diffuse confrontational behaviour and deal with conflict
- Ability to drive with own transport
- Attendance at monthly Message Prayer Days and morning devotional prayers
- Applicants should be able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of The Message, particularly with reference to their ability to function within the framework of its Mission, Vision, Ethos and Values
To apply, submit your CV and a one page motivational letter to email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Full copies of our Mission & Vision statement and our Ethos and Values statement are available on request.
Any information relating to people contacted by the Trust acquired in the course of duty must be treated in strictest confidence and must be discussed only within the confines of the work setting with the appropriate members of staff.
Any information relating to staff acquired in the course of duty must be treated in the strictest confidence and must be discussed only with senior staff members or with the line manager.
This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future changes. It will be reviewed periodically.
For more about Message Trust South Africa, refer to www.message.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies