Oxfam South Africa
Oxfam South Africa’s purpose is to work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and injustice. We are an Affiliate member of Oxfam International, a global confederation of 20 Affiliates working together in more than 90 countries across all regions of the world for a just world without poverty.
|Reporting to||Executive Director|
All our work is led by three core values:
- Empowerment. Everyone, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Accountability. We take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness. We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Oxfam south africa’s purpose
Mobilising people’s power for justice and lived freedom.
[To work at multiple levels of society for lasting solutions, challenging the systems and structures of power which perpetuate poverty and inequality, and intervene in practical ways to end suffering where needed.]
OXFAM sa FUNDING TEAM purpose
- Raise funds for Oxfam South Africa Programs, ensuring quality and consistency in relations with donor institutions and supporting the programme teams in planning and management of its income.
- Seek new sources of institutional funding, support and lead the design of proposals in accordance with donor requirements and coordinate the accountability process.
- Manage the portfolio of OZA institutional donor contacts and contracts
- To lead, manage and implement Oxfam South Africa’s Institutional Fundraising Strategy.
- Raise Institutional donor funds for Oxfam South Africa
- Develop and implement the Institutional fundraising portfolio for South Africa (National, Continental and International) in coordination with Oxfam affiliates network.
- Manage financing for sustainability of the program in South Africa
- Coordinate relations with the funding units of Oxfam affiliates and maintain up to date information on new donor opportunities and relevant calls for tenders for the country.
- Lead the local institutional fundraising process in South Africa
- Support programme personnel in the formulation, preparation and/or review of proposals and subsequent report.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, manage and increase OZA’s institutional funding portfolio and income at the national and international levels in coordination with the programme staff and other Oxfam affiliate fundraising units.
- Research and compilation of information on internal and external financing sources at the country level.
- Lead and support frequent internal and external negotiations with institutional donors.
- Analyse information on the work, as well as the context in which the programmes are developed in order to maximize opportunities for financing the programmes.
- Maintain regular contact with internal players at various affiliate levels at the national, regional and global levels.
- Contributing in ensuring that Oxfam South Africa’s program work is good quality.
- Lead the creation and implementation of an innovative and ambitious Institutional fundraising strategy with clearly articulated targets
- Raise and meet ambitious fund-raising targets for the organisation through institutional donors
- Ensure OZA develops strong and dynamic relations with institutional donors
- Develop and implement effective systems and processes for fundraising and donor relations
- Coordinates with other departments for effective implementation of donor commitments and timely reporting
- Act at all times in the best interest of Oxfam while continually promoting the vision and mission within all sections of the community, as well as the media and at appropriate events
- Record all donor data and activities on the Oxfam South Africa database
- Management Reporting to all relevant stakeholders
- Any other tasks within the scope of the role as agreed
- Responsible for supporting the programme teams in developing, implement and following up on the financing strategy in close collaboration with marketing and fundraising staff.
- Facilitate appropriate administration and quality control of the institutional donor fund portfolio.
- Lead and formulate, in coordination with the programme staff, the preparation and presentation of proposals, control the quality of reports to donors in coordination with the programme and finance/administration staff
- Support the programme teams in the management and renewal of the portfolio of possible sources of financing
- Responsible for effective management of institutional donor relations.
- Train the relevant country staff in fundraising and contract management to maximise OZA’s overall capacity for institutional fundraising.
Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Institutional fundraising experience (e.g. EU, multilateral agencies, Trusts, Foundations and the South Africa Government).
- Excellent report and proposal writing skills
- In-depth knowledge of Institutional Funding developments and trends in South Africa, the Southern Africa region and internationally.
- Ability to represent Oxfam with donors, external stakeholders
- Knowledge and professional experience in institutional fundraising and project formulation
- Excellent communication skills-oral and written.
- Skill in research, analyses and projections.
- Skill in preparing narrative financial and budget reports
- Skill in working effectively to achieve fundraising targets
- Knowledge of NGOs with emphasis on gender and development programmes.
- Skill in understanding and obtaining information and managing information.
- Skill in transmitting knowledge to others about correct process procedures
- Excellent time management and ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of and skill in working with programme and financing contract management systems.
- Ms Office computer skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Electronic database experience
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Fluent knowledge of English-written and spoken
- An understanding of the role Oxfam plays within the NGO sector and the South African political environment and how this can be leveraged with institutional donors.
- Proven ability to work across the organisation to create and deliver against strategic plans and set targets.
- Proven ability to build internal and external relationships which deliver on organisational departmental goals
- Strategic thinking, entrepreneurial flair, forward thinking, innovative and dynamism with a problem-solving approach and ability to fully employ these attributes within own area of responsibility
- Strong commitment to Oxfam’s mission and values
- Ability to maintain a professional and presentable image at all times
- Ability to work under intense pressure
- Flexible approach to working hours-ability and willingness to work evening and weekends when necessary
- Available for travel both locally and internationally
- Valid passport
The job description is not incorporated into the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in light of strategic developments following discussions with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievement of key responsibilities in accordance with the performance of the review process.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a Letter of Application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume in strict confidence by email only to: email@example.com
Enquiries relating to the role must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org . This e-mail must be used for applications submissions only. Applications submitted to this e-mail address will not be considered.