|ActionAid South Africa launched a local fundraising programme in 2014 to maximise net income and grow the base of national supporters. The focus is on individual marketing and high value fundraising and will require a strategic approach to testing new acquisition channels, new fundraising products, improve ROI and work with the Communications and Campaigns Manager to raise the profile of ActionAid South Africa among the general public with a view to increasing brand recognition.
A fundraising leader is required to manage a sustainable fundraising programme within the South African context. To provide strong and visionary leadership in the development and implementation of ActionAid South Africa’s Fundraising Strategy and to take an active role as part of the ActionAid International Federation, especially working with the International Fundraising community.
Main KPA's include:
- Devise and implement a fundraising strategy to significantly increase income across a range of funding streams, with a focus on raising income from South African supporters through regular giving and high value in line with the international fundraising strategy.
- Monitor all activities against targets and key performance indicators (e.g. ROI, attrition rates)
- Produce annual and long-term budgets of income and expenditure and monitor results against them, advising management of any significant deviations.
- Provide regular reporting on the progress of fundraising plan and budget
- Identify and develop opportunities to increase income and improve cost efficiency on an ongoing basis.
- Lead the fundraising team, including conducting regular supervision sessions and appraisals and identifying development opportunities. Also, be responsible for training and coaching of the team as the market does not provide experienced fundraisers
- Communicate key strategic, organizational and external issues affecting ActionAid SA and its fundraising activities
- Contribute to the strategic and operational direction and management of ActionAid SA
- Develop and manage relationships and contracts with external suppliers.
- Identify, recruit and oversee High Value fundraising opportunities.
- Ensure systems are in place to manage donor relations, including supporter services, financial processing, financial reporting and a marketing database.
- Test and develop appropriate fundraising products to ensure sustained regular giving, with the aim of increasing income from SA supporters
- Test and develop a variety of channels through which ActionAid SA can acquire supporters.
- Manage online fundraising
- Explore the potential of expanding child sponsorship and other individual giving products cost effectively to South African supporters.
- Ensure constant monitoring and refine a supporter retention strategy to build lasting relationships with financial supporters.
- Manage the High Value Program (major donors, companies , events and foundations) in order to diversify and increase income.
- Maximize the use of ActionAid’s worldwide fundraising resources to enable the South African fundraising program can be developed as cost effectively as possible.
- Share skills and develop relationships with International Fundraising Team and Fundraising Directors of ActionAid Affiliates and Associates
- Establish and maintain excellent relations with donors and external suppliers
- Make presentations to select gatherings (potential donors) and develop relations on a sustained basis
- Work together with Communications to develop and send feedback materials to donors such as reports, newsletters and website
- Press Relations: work with Communications to raise ActionAid profile in local media in order to support Fundraising actions
|Education & Certifications
||Applicants must be in possession of a graduate qualification in marketing, commerce or similar.
|Knowledge and Experience
- At least four years proven experience in managing a regular giving or child sponsorship programme will be highly regarded.
- Minimal two years’ experience in managing and motivating a team.
- Fluent in written and spoken English to a technical level.
- Experience in working with customer or supporter/donor databases.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of customer service and loyalty to enable the development of a sustainable income base for the organization.
- Proven financial management and analytical skills including experience in planning and managing budgets.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to sell ideas and negotiate.
- Proficiency in the use of standard computer software, especially Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritize workloads.
- Leadership and motivation skills.
- Experience/Knowledge of fundraising in the civil society / international NGO environment would be an advantage.
- Relationship building and networking skills
- Driver's licence and own vehicle
|Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in managing external agencies such as marketing agencies
- An innovative and creative thinker, able to plan and implement new ideas
- Experience in developing online marketing or fundraising programmes
- An understanding of development and poverty issues and approaches.
- Experience in raising institutional and High Value funds.
Interested candidates must send a motivation letter highlighting your fundraising achievements and a CV in Word format to email@example.com
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN IN TERMS OF ACTIONAID SA’s COMMITMENT TO EMPLOYMENT EQUITY
Foreign nationals must be eligible to work in South Africa.
Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.