Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS)
TIPS is a nonprofit economic research organisation based in Pretoria, South Africa. The organisation facilitates policy development and dialogue in pursuit of sustainable and inclusive growth. TIPS has three main focus areas: Trade and Industrial Policy, Inequality and Economic Inclusion and Sustainable Growth. Its working model integrates research and analysis, policy development, disseminating information, capacity building, technical support, and programme design and management.
TIPS seeks to appoint a Economist to be based in South Africa.
Start date: 2 April 2018
Salary: A competitive remuneration package is offered based on level of skill required
- Undertake high quality economic research, report writing, data analysis and economic input
- Liaise with and support the relevant policy-making entities in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS' mandate and priorities
- Contribute to preparing reports to funders/clients with the support of TIPS's administrative staff
- Conduct ad hoc / Public good research projects as they arise with direction from the line manager
- Provide content for dissemination in conjunction with TIPS staff on research projects, events, publications, etc
- From time to time produce independent research or expand TIPS research
- Contribute content to the TIPS website and support the release of research and information produced by TIPS into the public domain
- Provide mentorship to junior staff
- A post-graduate qualification (at least a Masters’ degree) in Economics and at least three years of economic research and/or policy experience
- An interest and expertise in international trade, industrial policy and regional integration
- Strong communication skills in writing, editing and presentation, with an excellent command of written and spoken English
- A passion for industrial policy and inclusive economic development, with knowledge of national and international developments on industrial policy, trade and other economic issues
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and knowledge of Stata or SPSS
- Teamwork and an ability to handle tight deadlines
- Ability to design and carry out research projects within internal and external team members as well as the ability to carry out research autonomously
To apply, submit CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only applications with all of these components will be considered.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.
Non-South African applicants should have authority to work in South Africa.
For more about Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, refer to www.tips.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies