Africa Check was founded on 26 June 2012 as Africa’s first non-partisan fact-checking organisation, set up to promote honesty in public debate and the media across the continent. Its main office is in South Africa. It also has offices in the UK, Senegal, Nigeria and Kenya. It works to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa and thereby raise the quality of information available to the public across the continent.
Africa Check seeks to appoint an Information Manager to be based in Johannesburg.
The position is for two days per week
Report to: The Deputy Director
The purpose of the position is to develop and manage Africa Check’s new “Info Finder” tool – designed to enable journalists, civil society researchers and the public to access the most reliable sources of facts and information available on a range of topics in key countries across the continent.
- Effectively and efficiently manage the ‘Info Finder’ information database and its ongoing updates
- Coordinate the work of a network of expert contributors to the project
- Identify new experts, liaise with existing experts and regularly update the expert database through well-defined community and content management processes
- Lead on the ongoing development of the project, liaising with management, editorial and technical teams
- Report on activities related to the management of the project
- Advise on improvements to the Info Finder tool
- Establish users’ information needs on an on-going basis and respond through Info Finder content
- Degree or similar
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in the field of media, media-for-development and information management
- An enthusiasm for and understanding of the work of fact-checking and information management
- Experience of successfully developing and leading a data-based project; ideally involving some level of liaising with volunteers
- Experience or knowledge of online discovery and retrieval systems
- Experience and knowledge of digital content management
- Editorial expertise, ideally proofreading and editing expert contributors’ content according to a house style
- Ability to analyse problems or information systematically and in depth
- Ability to take initiative and responsibility for your work
- Eagerness to learn
- Written and oral communication skills
- Project management skills
- Problem-solving and organising skills
- Ability to understand and put yourself in the shoes of users
- Knowledge of and willingness to learn French an advantage
To apply, submit cover letter and a detailed CV with minimum two references to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line of email must be “Application-information Manager’’).
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Africa Check, refer to www.africacheck.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies