Freedom House is a nongovernmental human rights organisation based in Washington DC, with a regional office for Southern Africa based in Johannesburg. Through the Justice as a Right in Southern Africa (JARSA) programme, Freedom House seeks to strengthen the rule of law, promote judicial independence and protect human rights in the SADC region.
Freedom House is seeking consultants to assist it in implementing a civic education project at local government level in various municipalities in Mpumalanga, North West, Eastern Cape and KwaZulu Natal.
Scope of Work:
- Conduct field based mapping exercises to assist Freedom House in understanding the sites in which work will take place and in determining educational needs of beneficiary organisations.
- Undertake a political economy analysis in order to refine the project theory of change and confirm project objectives and design.
- Develop and implement a civic education and training of trainer’s process for a selected cohort of 50 individuals from organisations. The training is planned for two cycles of five days at a central location. Costs of the event need not be included in the proposal.
- Develop and implement a curriculum for citizen involvement in local government public participation. This training may be conducted either centrally or in situ and proposals for both, with necessary justification, are welcomed.
Successful consultants will provide full documentation of the process and outcomes of the work. In the case of C and D proposed materials will be submitted prior to training for review.
The successful candidates should be based in South Africa and should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Master’s degree in the social sciences with five or more years of professional experience, or honour’s degree in the social sciences with eight or more years of professional experience;
- Demonstrated academic and/or professional experience in one or more of the following areas: public participation, popular education, course design, local government service delivery;
- Familiarity with the context within which the work is to be undertaken.
Freedom House will accept proposals from individuals and not for profit companies only.
Deliverables and Timeline:
Note that these tasks have to be carried out by July 2018, with the exception that training itself can be carried out in the second half of the year.
The consultant will be paid at a daily rate, negotiable within Freedom House accepted consultancy rates. All other costs required for the successful completion of the consultancy, such as material and travel expenses, are to be identified in consultation with and provided by Freedom House.
Please submit an application consisting of the following to Ms. Mpangi Kwenge, email@example.com, by February 10, 2018. The application should include:
- Motivation letter detailing experience and suitability for this consultancy;
- Desired daily rate and estimated number of days. Please note that consulting rates must be justified in the proposal by reference to previous work.
- Two references from work conducted in the last 18 months.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Applications will be evaluated on their responsiveness to the scope of work, relevant and demonstrated experience, and cost-effectiveness.
For more about Freedom House, refer to www.freedomhouse.org
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities