AIMS South Africa
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is an innovative, pan-African network of centres of excellence for post-graduate education, research and outreach, which has achieved global recognition since opening its first centre in South Africa in 2003.
AIMS South Africa, located in Muizenberg, is seeking to appoint a Part-time Accountant (NPO/NGO) 20 hours per week, who will be responsible for the day to day performance and monitoring of accounting functions, to ensure that grants are managed and accounted for in an effective and sustainable manner, in accordance with organisational policy and procedures, and donor requirements. This is a part-time, one year contract position with the possibility of extension.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with financial regulations, policies and procedures
- Ensure that accurate project accounting records are maintained and comply with donor requirements
- Prepare and ensure that all project management reports are accurate and balance to books of account
- Monitor monthly project expenditure against budget, identify variances and report thereon
- Prepare cash flow projections for projects and manage the cash flows accordingly
- Prepare project expenditure projections, as and when required
- Assist with the preparation of budgets for proposal submissions
- Assist with the preparation of reports, documents and presentations for management, donor and Council requirements
- Assist with the preparation of audit packs and all other necessary information to ensure efficient, effective and successful external donor audits
- Assist the Finance Manager with annual audits and external reviews, when necessary
- Maintain and update inventory
- Assist with the capturing of accounting data on new network accounting system
- Provide support to the Finance Manager and the finance team, as required from time to time.
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree, preferably with accounting as a major
- At least 10 years of working experience in a related field and/or similar
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work accurately under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Attention to detail is imperative
- Sound computational, organisational, planning and administrative skills
- Flexibility, patience and willingness to go the extra mile
- Strong personal accountability and commitment
- Enthusiasm to work in a culturally diverse organisation
- Excellent financial report writing skills
- Ability to take on new work and adapt as the position grows
- Familiarity with a university environment
- Work experience in an accounting firm
- Experience in Accpac and/or Sage ERP
Commencement of duties: 1 March 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing Date: Open until filled
Enquiries: Ms Deborah Wilsnagh, Tel: 021 787 9341 or email@example.com
For more information on AIMS please visit http://www.aims.ac.za
Prospective candidates must submit the following to The Finance and HR Manager, AIMS South Africa, 6 Melrose Road, Muizenberg, 7945, or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae together with the names and contact details of at least two referees
- A covering letter motivating the application
Please note this position is being re-advertised.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. AIMS South Africa reserves the right not to make an appointment, to re-advertise or to extend the deadline for applications.